Of hovercraft and airports

This spot I try to keep open for short documentaries if there are any and there are two today.

But … and this is a big but … both the presenters are prats, the first because of his appalling shirt and the second for the truly pratty presentation, including naf graphics and noises.

However, having said that, both give the salient details in potted form and both include footage from the time. So hold off hurling a brick at the screen and get back up to speed:

12 comments for “Of hovercraft and airports

1. dearieme
    September 13, 2017 at 23:58

We used a hovercraft once. Dear God it was noisy.

2. September 14, 2017 at 01:30

I have a shirt like that I save solely for performing at live shows.

That said, what are the long-term numbers of building and upkeeping hovercraft versus the same regarding the Chunnel or other transportation alternatives?

That’s what it boils down to, does it not?

• September 14, 2017 at 04:23

Knowing your wonderful artwork, I can well imagine the shirt.

In answer to the question – yes, it does.

3. dearieme
    September 14, 2017 at 08:52

The numbers? The bloody things make no economic sense at all. Mind you, neither does the Chunnel as far as I know. But it’s there, so use it.

4. September 14, 2017 at 13:06

So late evening meal in Yorkshire, overnight to the Channel, first crossing of the day taking a few minutes and quickly on and off and then having the tent up and taking lunch by The Loire. OK a bit noisy, but very convenient and a lot lot better than hanging round grotty airports or erratic ferries with trade union problems prone to last minute strikes.

• Mudplugger
      September 14, 2017 at 15:43

I agree.
      I used the Dover-Calais ‘Seaspeed’ hovercraft service frequently in the 70s & 80s, exactly as you describe.
      Excellent service, with none of the downsides of the ferries or the infernal Chunnel.
      I mourn its passing, especially when its replacement is so inferior. This is not progress.

• Mark Matis
      September 14, 2017 at 19:54

And one would probably meet less terrorist invaders on the hovercraft than one is likely to encounter in the Chunnel…

5. September 14, 2017 at 16:07

In an alternate universe, channel traffic is conducted via Ekranoplan.

• September 14, 2017 at 16:19

Or by kite from a 500 foot tower platform on the coast.

But probably hover for the novelty.

6. September 14, 2017 at 17:42

The SR-N4 scrap skirts line many a swimming pool in deepest Kensington, I’ll be bound.

7. Bill
    September 15, 2017 at 19:04

The Russians are coming. Well you would hear them if they arrived on one of these.