Sherlock

1. Sherlock breaks into a crime scene. The victim is the owner who is slumped dead on a chair, with a bullet hole in his head. A gun lies on the floor and a cassette recorder is found on the table. On pressing the play button, Sherlock hears the message ‘I have committed sins in my life and now I offer my soul to the great Lord’, followed by a gunshot Sherlock smiles and informs the police that it’s a murder.

Why does he think so?

2. A detective who was mere days from cracking an international smuggling ring has suddenly gone missing. While inspecting his last-known location, Sherlock finds a note:

710 57735 34 5508 51 7718

Currently, there are 3 suspects: Bill, John, and Tony. Can you break the detective’s code and find the criminal’s name?

13 comments for “Sherlock

1. Distant Relative
    October 16, 2017 at 18:21

2. Bill

2. Captain Fatty
    October 16, 2017 at 18:28

1. The tape recording finished after the gunshot and the tape recorder had been deliberately turned off, hard to do if you are dead.

• FrankH
      October 16, 2017 at 19:05

Not only turned off, it had been rewound as well.

The second one reminds me of when we had to order parts from our central stores. The parts would be delivered the next day. If it was a small part it would be delivered in a plastic bags with a translucent (if that’s the right word) square for the part number to be written. One day I ordered part number 770 2219, I was momentarily shocked the next day when I saw that, face down on the desk.

3. October 16, 2017 at 18:37

Y-e-e-e-s-s-s, they weren’t particularly good this time round. 🙂

Rewound – yes.

4. Chuckles
    October 16, 2017 at 18:44

On the second one, you have to look at it from the right point of view, though.

• Distant Relative
      October 16, 2017 at 18:58

Yes, put the numbers into a calculator and read upside down. The calculator that is – no headstands required!

“Bill is boss”

5. October 16, 2017 at 19:16

In my case it needs a headstand as the iPad turns the screen around.

• Chuckles
      October 16, 2017 at 19:25

Or you could simply disable ‘auto-rotate’?
      But I suppose the exercise is good for you?

• October 16, 2017 at 19:39

Too simple, disabling.

• Chuckles
          October 16, 2017 at 19:51

Then you do it in the approved manner –
          you say, “OK Siri, what is the guilty suspects name?”

6. Penseivat
    October 16, 2017 at 19:59

From what I recall about cassette players is that if you don’t stop a recording, the tape gets to the end, automatically reminds and then switches itself off. Possibly something that someone who grew up with CDs may not know. However ……… if I was Bill, I’d look for a passport.

• Lord T
      October 17, 2017 at 12:30

Cassette players don’t normally rewind when they reach the end. The pull of the tape as it reaches the end exceeds the threshold and trips the play button, which was also pressed with record when recording, and this simply stops it.

7. October 17, 2017 at 00:27

Your soul will not go up to the Lord if you commit suicide, whether you know how a tape cassette works or not.