Actors who make and ruin films

These sorts of things below on youtube are not for everyone, largely because of the format and the manner of speech, plus disagreement over the list, but they pass the time and the general idea is sound – it is who the actor is which is quite important.

This was a brave try:

Some actors I would avoid a film over, rather than be forced to watch it, include Richard Dreyfus, Dustin Hoffman, Andie MacDowell, there just so many. Streep.

Then there are others who are excellent in one or two films, e.g. Daniel Craig, IMHO, in Casino Royale but not all that great outside it.

More difficult are actors who can get you to watch because they’re in it including, for me, Max von Sydow, possibly Gal Gadot for her sexiness [currently], a whole bevy of honeys like Lizzie Bouchere and Lea Seydoux, irrespective of whether they can act, probably a few others.

If I knew it was an action flick, if there was no feminism, no “I’m a strong woman” and it was a genuine action/romance, then that, more than the actors, would get me into the cinema.

Some I used to watch for their name, but now will not watch anything by, include Arnie and Robert de Niro, for purely political reasons.

Then there are those in signature roles whom I would not watch in anything else and not watch any other actor in the role, including Joan Hickson, David Suchet, Jeremy Brett.

You?

17 comments for “Actors who make and ruin films

1. dearieme
    November 22, 2017 at 14:24

I don’t watch films any more. The best turn I’ve seen lately on the telly was the chap who did Lord Melbourne in Victoria. Very promising is the lass playing the older sister in the current Howards End: she reminds me of Jennifer Ehle (that excellent Lizzie Bennet twenty-odd years ago) in that she conveys so much with her eyes.

I like the girl playing the younger sister too, partly because she does it well, partly because she reminds me so much of the sparkling daughter of old friends.

• dearieme
      November 22, 2017 at 14:31

The male lead in Howards End is also doing well. It’s a fine show except for the bloody music drowning out the dialogue.

Another good telly actor is Roger Allam: highly watchable and a fine voice.

Peter Capaldi was so wonderful in The Thick of It that I’d be inclined to watch him in anything else (except Dr Bloody Who, of course).

2. November 22, 2017 at 14:38

There are quite a few actors I would avoid a film over, such as Emma Thompson, Nicholas Cage and Tom Cruise. Not that we watch films these days, apart from a few oldies and the films we watch with the grandkids.

3. The Blocked Dwarf
    November 22, 2017 at 15:10

*is waiting patiently to see what a hash they make of Blade Runner*

4. November 22, 2017 at 15:44

Lack of tele makes it difficult here.

5. James Strong
    November 22, 2017 at 16:06

I’ll watch Christian Bale in just about anything, an actor who can be superb even in average film.

Kevin Spacey too. This is one of the sites where it is still OK to say that Spacey is a very fine actor, I think.

Michael Caine is the opposite to those two; he can spoil an otherwise excellent film.

Of the other type of actor, i.e. actresses:

Sandra Bullock- always captivating, even in bad movies.

Jodie Foster – superb.

And to get the male hormones rushing, and I don’t know quite why, Sofie Grabol who played the lead character in ‘The Killing’.

But the most striking film actress ever – Katherine Hepburn.

• James Strong
        November 23, 2017 at 07:21

Thanks. I’ve saved it to my computer.
        Bearing in mind that you sometimes write about ladies and their good, and bad points, perhaps you could suggest what qualities Ms. Grabol has got. I can’t define it, but she has certainly got it. And for me, not having met her or knowing anything about her personality, that is based on an unreconstructed sexist response to her visual appeal, i.e. her looks.

• November 23, 2017 at 23:41

But the most striking film actress ever – Katherine Hepburn.

Now there’s one whose films I really do try to avoid. That awful fingernails-on-a-blackboard voice for starters. But really I detest everything about her.

Caine is great, but only in the right role. He was superb in Sleuth, and The Man Who Would Be King, and the Harry Palmer spy movies. But he’s made an enormous number of awful movies.

• November 24, 2017 at 01:50

Agreed, can’t standard the Katherine version but the Audrey – ah, that’s a different matter.

6. Penseivat
    November 22, 2017 at 22:47

I was taken, by my grandchildren (or was it the other way around?) to watch Xmen. I couldn’t help losing interest when I realised that Wolverine was a younger version of Harry Enfield’s Wayne Slob, side whiskers and all. The film was spoilt by me waiting for Waynetta to ask for a black baby as she was the only one on the estate who didn’t have one. She never turned up. The bitch!

7. November 23, 2017 at 01:44

I wouldn’t pay to see a Nicholas Cage movie, but in hindsight he is enjoyable when one realises he is the American Shatner.

• James Strong
      November 23, 2017 at 07:22

Denny Crane for President.

• November 23, 2017 at 07:34

We need a miscaricatured RINO like a hole in the head.

• November 23, 2017 at 09:24

Denny didn’t run though. Unlike me. I did against Obama, the first time around, as a write-in. 47 people voted for me 🙂

8. Tom
    November 23, 2017 at 12:08

I do wince at making political enemies richer when I go to, rent or buy their films but surely one of the things that divides us from our foes is that politics is not our be and end all? De Niro for example is a political idiot. Streep even more so but so what? I will turn off an interview in which they go off on one politically but still enjoy their magnificent acting in a movie. I am all for fighting fire with fire but in challenging the Left we must be careful not to become like them. Ultimately they are the fanatics and we’re NOT. So maybe just relax and enjoy the movie?