Eat yer heart out, Amazon

Courtesy haiku:

If you needed evidence that internet shopping still has room to grow, you just got it. Chinese e-commerce powerhouse Alibaba has confirmed that its annual Singles’ Day sales event racked up the equivalent of more than $25.3 billion in sales, easily setting a record for the most online purchases in one day. For context, Alibaba sold just short of $18 billion last year — this year, the company surpassed that figure slightly past the halfway mark. The 2016 Cyber Monday sale was downright tiny by comparison, mustering ‘just’ $3.45 billion in the US.

And then there was this:

There was a certain amount of comment that £3.99 was reasonable for same day delivery but then you look at the cost of the item, how often you need deliveries, and the £79 and it quickly becomes uncompetitive with many other sellers.

Plus one other factor.

When you buy from, say, Screwfix or Ironmongers, they stand behind the product and delivery. There are shoddy firms for sure but the big ones are Ok.

With Amazon, there’s no comeback for damaged goods. They say there is but you have to courier it back at your own expense and Amazon itself acts as go between only, adding a link to the chain. If all links in the chain work, some weeks later you get your refund but are still without the goods you originally wanted.

And with their lower prices, they’re often damaged goods. All three of my canvas chairs are broken. They knew this and threw in a holdall as compensation, no note of course.

Amazon didn’t want to know. No thanks, no more Amazon for me, only accountable firms.  Hope they go down.

9 comments for “Eat yer heart out, Amazon

1. November 14, 2017 at 16:40

It’s too long a story for here, but I have had good experience with Amazon’s after sales help, after a PC I bought through them failed within its guarantee period.

2. Bill
    November 14, 2017 at 18:01

Same here, not France. No issues at all with Amazon refunds or service. Seems the bigger the company the more chance of people moaning about something, as rather neatly proven by Amazon reviews!

• November 14, 2017 at 18:02

Nope, here they make you send it back at your own expense. Happened.

• Bill
        November 15, 2017 at 09:05

Never had anything sent from Amazon that turned up damaged no matter how big the item. Had to return a couple of things cos silly me ordered the wrong one/type and those returns were at my expense.
        As your experiences are negative it makes no sense to keep buying from them.

As an aside this ‘shop local’ meme that is pushed in whatever locality one travels in or so it seems well what do you do when the locals either never have what you need or it is overpriced for what it is not to mention the sparsity of local shops. Most of those that exist are huge chain brands outlets of one form or another.
        Thank god for e-bay.

3. ivan
    November 14, 2017 at 20:43

Are you buying from Amazon or one of the sellers they host?

With Amazon I have never had any problems and, in one case, an obvious damaged parcel was returned by just not accepting it and I had the full refund (including shipping costs) back in my account the next day. One of their resellers didn’t state they were in the channel islands so I was hit with TVA (French VAT), that parcel I also refused and was refunded in full a few days later.

This is using Amazon UK, Amazon France are just as good.

• November 14, 2017 at 20:52

From Amazon UK, twice. First was those chairs, second was a drill battery. Standard procedure they said was to send it back and they would investigate. That was outrageous, they should have collected.

4. November 15, 2017 at 02:04

Amazon is the only online vendor I’ve never had a problem with in this regard. These days I rarely buy from anyone else. Even when the item comes from a third-party seller I’ve never had a drama getting a full refund if there’s a problem.

Dealing with other online vendors has more often than not been a nightmare.

5. November 15, 2017 at 06:54

All right, I’ve just gone back to one of those order histories and this was how it was left [number changed]:

Speak with manufacturer’s technician to troubleshoot your product or parts issue.
    View Manufacturer Contact
    Phone number: 0345 6763 438
    Available hours : Mon. to Thu. from 08:00 to 17:00. Fri. from 08:00 to 16:00
    Manufacturer Support URL

That was the response to my attempt to have the item collected by Amazon. I am NOT talking through my backside here. They would NOT collect, I had to send it back at my expense.

I bought it on Amazon, not on an 0345 number, I used my Prime and One Click. Amazon delivered shoddy goods and would not collect.

I’m quite sure the people above had exemplary service and the books or baskets never broke down but twice this game Amazon employed, let alone the five times or so the item was delivered to the wrong address, so I later found out.

And I call that “not very good” service.