Fiat Punto

Oops:

The Fiat Punto has been awarded no stars by independent safety expert Euro NCAP – the first time such a score has been given.

The Punto – first introduced in 2005 – was re-examined as part of Euro NCAP’s regular reassessment of vehicles as the body seeks to find cars “that are past their sell-by-date where safety is concerned”. The Fiat was found to significantly trail its modern contemporaries.

Euro NCAP explained the Punto’s no-star score “came because of low scores for its crash performance, combined with the absence of key technologies such as Autonomous Emergency Braking”.

As well as no stars overall, the Punto was given zero per cent in the safety assist category. This too was the first time such a score had been awarded by Euro NCAP.

9 comments for “Fiat Punto

1. microdave
    December 14, 2017 at 15:45

“Cars “that are past their sell-by-date where safety is concerned”

The Punto is decidedly “New tech” compared to my Panda!

“The absence of key technologies such as Autonomous Emergency Braking”

I doesn’t have ANY “key” technologies – I decide what goes on, not some bloody computer. Unlike (it seems) all new cars, it also has a handbrake which can be applied when I’m stopped in traffic queues, so I don’t sit there blinding the driver behind me. And don’t bother trying to remotely “hack” it either…

• December 14, 2017 at 16:08

Therefore your car is safe in real terms.

• ivan
      December 14, 2017 at 16:32

My 4×4 started out with some form of computer to run the engine.

I got it when the then owner found it would cost an arm and a leg to replace a couple of components.

The first thing I did was remove the computer and all its extraneous bits, make up a new inlet manifold with a standard double barrel carburettor, change a few wires and away I went.

On the first test the guys couldn’t work out why it had much lower than book value emissions but they passed it then and on all subsequent tests as well.

Who is it that says a car/truck needs all this computerisation when all that does is up the costs all round.

• December 14, 2017 at 16:36

Ah, to have that sort of skill. All I can do is buy 2002 and before.

• microdave
        December 14, 2017 at 19:02

“My 4×4 started out with some form of computer to run the engine”

Well mine had an electronic ignition module bolted to the distributor – both this (and the one on my previous Panda) have failed. I put it down to the heat it’s subjected to, being right behind the radiator, as well as the conducted heat and vibration from the engine. As luck would have it, I removed an old points type distributor from a scrapper, and have that installed – with the electronic and matching coil on board, just in case. Takes ten minutes max to swap them over. The fuel is taken care of by a carburettor, which means my car would be one of the few still running after an EMP event, if the Fat Boy starts throwing nukes our way. Just wanted to spread some Christmas cheer about…

• Mark Matis
          December 15, 2017 at 13:50

How long do you expect to be able to get fuel for your vehicle after an EMP event? Over here in West Pondia, our stations all have electronic pumps, which will be toasted in an EMP.

Of course, the effects of an EMP on the hives will bring about an “Escape from New York” scenario. Just how many flights of stairs are hive dwellers willing to climb in one day? And how much hive real estate is above that level? Not to mention the third world and fourth world cultures they have enthusiastically imported. Those “urban youfs” are kept in check by streetlights – which let decent humans see and avoid them – and security cameras – which let “Law Enforcement” identify them when they get done with their coffee and donuts. Now “urban youfs” are not the sharpest tools in the shed, but after a few days without power, even THEY will be able to understand that those impediments to their recreation will no longer be of concern. And at least over here in West Pondia, they have shown that in those circumstances they roam unimpeded, taking as reparations anything they want, and destroying everything else. Which means that hive dwellers who do not immediately evacuate the hive after an EMP have no credible way of surviving.

And by the way, the test results I have seen show that even computerized vehicles tend to survive an EMP as long as they aren’t powered up when the event occurs. And a further “by the way”, the UK should not have to worry about an EMP event as long as they don’t become a primary target for one. While a nuclear detonation at an altitude of roughly 300 miles over Nebraska would take down the entire US power grid – and Canada’s as well – it would be very unlikely to affect the UK or Europe. Magnetic field lines and all such stuff.

• microdave
            December 15, 2017 at 19:38

I did only claim it would “still be running” – not for how long! But all your other points are duly noted and pretty well agreed with, particularly “urban youfs” roaming around unimpeded. That’s the biggest worry in the event of a major grid collapse (which our lunatic politicians seem to be intent on causing). I have a range of back-ups, but if I’m the only one with lights on after a couple of days – well you can guess the rest…

2. woodsy42
    December 15, 2017 at 09:58

And what if we don’t want autonomous emergency braking or lane assist etc? The Punto isn’t that good but this zero looks more like a political score than a real one.

3. December 15, 2017 at 15:14