Bloody Windows

While it’s true that a flu relapse curtailed yesterday’s blogging, plus illness in our contributors, that wasn’t the overwhelming reason for the high dudgeon.

The intensifying descriptor “bloody” used to be applied to the Midland Bank but now could equally apply to Windows.

The overwhelming reason was the highly unstable Windows 8 and deeply annoying auto updates every time the computer was revived from sleep. I can never just switch on and use, they are constantly reinstalling.

This morning continued last night where Windows simply shut down the computer to install 8.1 but to go back further, this began days ago when it reinstalled 8 and took five and a half hours, then it decidd it wanted to install updates and they stalled on 13% for three hours before I switched off.

Last night, it just said it was installing 8.1 and so I left it to it. This morning, I rebooted and it decided to Set Up.

1%, 2%, 3%, a percent every thirty seconds.

It stalled at 82% and switched off after three hours. I switched back on just now and it’s decided to reinstall my previous version.

I am truly sick to death of it. This is being written on the much maligned but always usable iPad Air2.

10 comments for “Bloody Windows

1. Distant Relative
    February 22, 2018 at 08:53

You don’t know how er..lucky.. you are. A recent upgrade in the outer reaches of civilisation here via rubber band took nearly 48 hours. Just had a notification this morning that there’s another one they’d like me to install. They can bleep off!

2. woodsy42
    February 22, 2018 at 09:01

Updates are a plague on our lives. I’m sticking with Windows 7 – which is tolerable but the android smartphone is the bane of my life. Every morning I get greeted with a list of new installed updates which always install in the main memory. Then memory is full so the only course of action is to move the install to the memory card, all of which has to be done manually. It’s ridiculous.

3. Robbo
    February 22, 2018 at 09:17

I use linux, costs nothing , does everything, why give microsoft anything, I run an old macpro, works fine, I also have a windows 7 machine its a useless heap

• The Blocked Dwarf
      February 22, 2018 at 11:37

JH, it might be worth your while to ‘upgrade’ to Windows 7 or, depending on what ‘stick on bits’ you use (like printers, scanners etc) getting Grandad to walk you through installing linux Mint.

• Mark Matis
        February 22, 2018 at 13:01

Or Ubuntu. There are some programs that only run under Windows or Crapple, and if you must use any of those, then you are well and truly stuck. But current versions of Linux are more than enough for 99% of computer users. They run quite well even on hardware that is not quite “current”. And they have far less exploits by those who would do you harm. I believe you would find the LibreOffice package quite familiar if you’re currently using Microslop. And it can read and write their current formats, although I have mine default to writing Office 97 formats, simply because those are plenty good for anything I do. Firefox and Thunderbird do your browsing and e-mail, although Chrome – and Chromium, if you prefer to reduce the “benefits” of Alphabet – are easy to install as well.

4. ivan
    February 22, 2018 at 11:41

Have you tried switching off auto updates? There is very little in the way of updates that are actually required for improvements, in fact most of them are just helping microsoft slurp your data.

5. February 22, 2018 at 12:57

I, too hate windows and their never ending updates. They often come with a hack or virus causing the failed installations. However Win 10 has far fewer updates and better malaware protection during those, never at a good time, updates but few and far between.

• ivan
      February 22, 2018 at 13:13

But win 10 is the worst offender in slurping your personal data for microsoft, so much so that they have tried to add that ‘feature’ to win 7. That is why win 10 is generally known as ‘slurp’ in IT circles.

6. February 22, 2018 at 14:00

Because I don’t know Windows, I don’t know where to turn off auto-updates*.

I had Ubuntu on the broken laptop and it was very good. it is with my mate right now.

One good thing is windows told me this morning it could not update, so that was good.

* Actually just found and switched them off.

7. Robbo
    February 22, 2018 at 18:43

Ive tried every flavour of Linux(im not clever enough to install Arch) and Linux Mint is definitely the best, its based on ubuntu i think but its better..dont forget to install bleachbit and then you will have a fine system… im retired and i tinker about with os,s several hours a day