Desirable and undesirable

Leaving aside the medical side, which is assuming certain proportions, which actually took me to hospital today:

… I wandered over to Morrisons [usually too far from my place] and was pleasantly surprised – I’d forgotten just how genteel the clientele were, mainly old codgers and ladies of the “old Britain”.

It was delightful waiting at the fish counter with no one on it, then after four calls through the tannoys, someone strolled up in striped garb, it was lovely chatting talking to the two 50s style girls at the deli about the hot pot, them with pinnies on ‘n all.  And their shortcrust pastries are better.

Not sure if Morrisons never came into the C20th or if it’s an affectation or what but whatever it is, it’s nice.

Meanwhile, the other “Britain”:

12 comments for “Desirable and undesirable

1. The Blocked Dwarf
    February 12, 2018 at 18:26

Oh my but you take a lot of….creme fraiche (which I applaud , I ‘discovered’ that stuff aged 13 on an Xchange to France, pigged out on it and was heartbroken to find it was unknown in the UK upon my return).

• February 12, 2018 at 18:41

It’s a most versatile substance.

• The Blocked Dwarf
        February 12, 2018 at 23:47

If I recall a German TV kids ‘science’ program, many years ago, aright it can even be turned into wall paint of the sort restorers use on Renaissance frescos.

2. dearieme
    February 12, 2018 at 20:52

We’re in the neighbourhood of a Morrisons about once a year. We always go in. Apart from the superiority of their fish, the beauty with which they lay out their very good fruit and veg is a delight to the eye. Can’t say that of Aldi, eh? Nor even of Waitrose, Sainsbury, Tesco, Co-op, or Marks.

Last time: excellent pork pie at the deli counter. Also delish smoked almonds somewhere on the aisles. Very good for a dodgy ticker, smoked almonds. It says so in Leviticus.

• February 12, 2018 at 21:21

Had the cod this evening.

Smoked almonds eh?

• The Blocked Dwarf
      February 12, 2018 at 23:53

“Can’t say that of Aldi, eh?”

Among professional cheapskates such as myself, it is common knowledge that not only are the German discounters’ fruit and veg of unparalleled quality for the price (despite a lot of it coming from British farms) but also the freshest because of their rate of turnover. Infact when a Lidl opened here just up the road from the Morrisons, Morrisons suddenly started having daily fresh produce where before the fruit had sat a week. Not that I buy fresh fruit or veg if I can avoid it, my body can’t cope with toxins like Vitamin C.

• February 13, 2018 at 05:06

Coffee (strong, black) and several pipes of tobacco a day cures vitamin issues.

• FrankH
          February 13, 2018 at 05:57

Coffee (vegetable), tobacco (vegetable), all you need is some beer (vegetable) and some wine (fruit) and you’re well on the way to your five a day. 😉

• Chuckles
            February 13, 2018 at 09:58

Coffee, Alcohol, Fat and Nicotine, the four essential food groups.

• The Blocked Dwarf
          February 13, 2018 at 07:12

Indeed they do, although I only smoke a pipe when the weather gets warmer I find that 60 cigarettes a day does the job well enough.

3. February 13, 2018 at 05:15