The leftwing Popular Mechanics had a piece on piracy in the Philippines:
When pirates tried to board a merchant vessel off the coast of the Philippines, the crew defended their ship like a castle, throwing boiling oil and water at the invaders. They succeeded in fending off the buccaneers, but this battle highlights the variety of desperate, homebrewed anti-pirate measures that some boat crews must employ to prevent capture—or worse.
The incident took place five miles southeast of Sibago island in the Philippines, in the Celebes Sea. Three pirate motorboats overtook and attempted to board the MV Kudos 1, a local merchant ship, with ropes and hooks, but were foiled by the crew medieval maritime warfare.
I thought I’d list just a few places you don’t go anywhere near on a boat these days.
1. Nowhere in Europe on the canal system because of the rip-off money demands by the authorities for zero return.
2. Nowhere near the French to the German coast as it’s treacherous, especially in the Bay of Biscay and above Holland.
3. The Philippines, Andamans, anywhere around there – it’s asking to be pirated and/or murdered. Nowhere near the subcontinent or Red Sea.
4. Near Gibraltar both for political reasons and the treacherous currents moving to the Atlantic and back.
5. Nowhere near the northern African coast – illegals and pirates, Muslims.
6. Nowhere near Spain, Italy or Sicily, nowhere near Greece. Don’t put in at Marseilles.
7. Nowhere near Israel or the Lebanon.
8. No Brazilian port, both for the rip-off by customs authorities and for the local pirates and marauders in harbour. No Argentinian or Chilean port for the same reason.
9. Nowhere near Panama because of the rip-off and the boat being impounded.
10. Nowhere near Cape Horn due to the treacherous conditions, ditto for anywhere in the Southern ocean [Roaring Forties].
11. Nowhere under Australia due to treacherous conditions, including Bass Strait.
12. Nowhere above Australia due to treacherous conditions and marauders.
13. No South or North Pacific islands due to 1st world prices and 3rd world service, ditto in the Caribbean but add hurricanes to the latter.
14. Nowhere near the African coast.
15. Nowhere near Britain or Ireland due to treacherous conditions, nowhere on the canals due to C&RT fascism and rip-off.
16. Nowhere near Australian port cities or Scandinavian, due to jihadi action.
17. Nowhere on the US coastline, especially near any city with a high black population, keep away from Florida for weather reasons.
So, where is possible then?
Nowhere. Also, stay outside a 500 mile zone near any Muslim or black country. And the most recent is Cape Town which has no drinking water either.
Oh and stay away from the middle of the oceans because thy’re treacherous these days due to the unsettled conditions of the past decade and a half.