Specialities

Went to Lidl [lightyears away from here] and went straight for the German offerings, went for a Swiss Emmental, not the farmed out one, then our Scottish companion gave me some Scottish shortbread for the upcoming birthday. The thing is, she brought this back from her last visit up there and it has to be one of the most buttery I’ve ever tasted.

So that needed the Brazilian beans ground each cup to go with it and out came the malt:

I believe you have to have the specialities of a place – if I want a soft cheese, I have to go to France, if I want a good ale, I have to go to England, ditto with a strong cheese.  If I want lamb, I go to Avignon.

And I’m not talking about top of the range either – just your basic.  If I want clotted cream, I go to Devon or Cornwall.  And no one does toad-in-the-hole better than in Yorkshire.  If you want a decent brew, you go to Yorkshire.  If you want pyelmyeni [meat dumplings] you have to go to eastern Europe and have it in bouillon with smyetana [sour cream].  If you want Dim Sims, you have to go to Melbourne:

Actually those ones aren’t good enough – the batter needs to be falling away and the whole thing needs to be wet with soy.  Those in the pic have been underdone – the chippy does the best steamed dimmies.

7 comments for “Specialities

1. The Jannie
    February 18, 2018 at 20:30

Pruneaux d’Agen are worth the trip. They’ll teach you how dodgy your average supermarket prune is.

2. Distant Relative
    February 18, 2018 at 20:50

In no particular order.

Elvas plums.
    Pineau des Charentes – preferably rouge with some Lancashire Bomb 😀
    Confit de canard cooked on an open fire in Bordeaux accompanied by frites cooked in duck fat also on an open fire….. happy memories….
    Smörgåsbord.

3. February 18, 2018 at 21:54

The French like their duck. Didn’t know about their prunes. With Armagnac, eh?

4. February 19, 2018 at 05:07

What the dumplings UK/AUS refer to as “dim sums” we just call “pot stickers” or “gyoza” in the States.
    “Dim Sum” in the States are the dishes that come along on the trolley on Sat./Sun. morning brunches.

One can find pot stickers here in the supermarket frozen food aisle for about $4/$5 for a 30 ct. sack.

• February 19, 2018 at 11:18

Yep, dim sims are one of many dim sum dishes.

• February 19, 2018 at 11:19

Dim sims, not sums. I have never heard anyone other than a New Zealander in Oz say ‘sum’, and even then they say dum sum. Nasty little slimey things. (the dim sims, not the Kiwis).