Sunday

1. Something definitely wrong with it:

2. As one does of course:

Former Freemason, 51, found drunk and naked inside a huge pipe organ with a toy gun and remote-controlled police car says he got lost while trying to hand out cheeseburgers to the homeless

3. Think I’m losing my grip on reality – don’t understand any of this:

A huge fan of the Culture series is Elon Musk, whose SpaceX drone ships are named after Culture space vessels. Here’s how Amazon describes Consider Phlebas: “a kinetic, action-packed adventure on a huge canvas. The book draws upon the extraordinary world and mythology Banks created in the Culture, in which a highly advanced and progressive society ends up at war with the Idirans, a deeply religious, warlike race intent on dominating the entire galaxy.

4. And what?

“When they’re ready to be done with high school, they think, ‘That’s all the school I need, and I’m just going to go and find a job.’ ” That job, Gordon explains, might be on the family farm or at the egg-packaging plant or the factory that makes pulleys and conveyor belts, or driving trucks that haul grain.

[H/T the crew]

9 comments for “Sunday

1. Distant Relative
    February 25, 2018 at 09:18

#1 The Fibs were too busy covering someone else’s “misdemeanours”/employing CYA tactics. It’ll all be coming out in the wash over the next few weeks.

2. Distant Relative
    February 25, 2018 at 09:26

Re your Schiff-ty tweet @POTUS

😀

3. Penseivat
    February 25, 2018 at 09:33

I have never read any of the Culture stories but wouldn’t be surprised if the Idirans considered their religion to be one of peace (also suspect there are few gays or unmutilated female children in their society).

• Chuckles
      February 25, 2018 at 10:22

I preferred them in translation, I thought they suffered in the original.

• February 26, 2018 at 02:39

I preferred them in translation, I thought they suffered in the original.

LOL.

There were some very interesting aspects to his Culture series. Banks was a socialist and on one level the Culture is the ultimate socialist Utopia. Which I assume was the author’s intention.

But he was honest enough to admit that even in Utopia dissent would be a problem. Being an atheist rationalist he tries to find a rational way for the Culture to deal with the problem but it’s obvious that while the Culture might be a warm fuzzy soft totalitarianism it’s still a totalitarianism and dissent is not permitted.

• Chuckles
          February 26, 2018 at 08:52

dfd, agree on all points, and I’ve read most of them, as usual in the hope of eventually striking gold somewhere along the way.

The quote above makes claims of a ‘kinetic, action packed adventure’. I found most of the supposed action so boring you could fall asleep reading it, which is I suppose inevitable in any extended description of socialist systems?

Despite the above, I think Ian Banks was a very gifted and talented writer, and the ideas and such are vast in their scope. Just not very interesting to read about.
          In a sense, perhaps I wish he’d found a better showcase for his talents, but we do what we must.

Good cure for insomnia though. 🙂

4. February 25, 2018 at 12:00

Any possibility that the drunk Freemason fellow is ‘taking one for the team’ so that the Fremasons can get a $million for the old organ they don’t want ? I would not put it past them. Perhaps I am being uncharitable. Give the fellow a cheeseburger.

5. February 26, 2018 at 03:50

No intention of reading them.

6. February 26, 2018 at 08:55

Have noted the interest in N3 and am in “hmmmmm” mode.