Vacant chair

A blogging friend of ours lost his good lady and it’s not my place to go into that. However, it did remind me of Steve Winwood’s song Vacant Chair:

There is solace but it’s not for me to say.

7 comments for “Vacant chair

1. The Blocked Dwarf
    February 25, 2018 at 12:09

“There is solace”

Indeed there is , if I’m right in my assumption as to that to which you refer . Moreover that solace , as opposed to hitting the whisky, also deals with the guilt ….and guilt is the ‘killer’ not the grief.

(JH, i have tried very hard to get the ‘tone’ of the above right, if however I haven’t then please delete it. )

• February 25, 2018 at 12:21

You got it in one. I deliberately didn’t bring religion into it per se.

• Distant Relative
      February 25, 2018 at 14:13

TBD wrote “….and guilt is the ‘killer’ not the grief.”

Speaking only for myself, that is so true.

When I was young and lost someone who was my absolute rock, a well intentioned older person said to me that time was a great healer. That made me very angry at the time – call it the ignorance of youth – platitudes, empty words said because no-one seems to know quite what to say to the recently bereaved. Years past and I still miss my rock but as I thought more about it I came to the realisation that I had become used to missing them. I think that it was what the well-intentioned person meant. The rawness of the pain dissipates, eventually. Life does indeed go on but it is not the same life – it can’t be because it is missing a crucial element that made it so unique before.

2. Ubermouth
    February 25, 2018 at 13:16

Not sure to whom you are referring,but my condolences.I think that as we age,both life and death hit us harder.

• Judd
      February 25, 2018 at 18:48

Not just with age, though naturally the older of us, usually but not always, have more first hand experience of tragedy.

Some of the youngsters can’t understand why us older generation appear more emotional affected by tragedy and loss, when those same youngsters can seem so blase about such things.
      My answer is always the same, when life’s kicked you in the bollocks enough times you’ll discover genuine deep in the heart emotions.

• February 25, 2018 at 20:11

You don’t know this one, Uber.

3. February 25, 2018 at 17:03