The skies in the 60s

At one point in the dim past, I used to run Super 8 reels – can’t recall where I got them from and we had quite an audience. I recall one was an acclaimed anti-war Czech film, they were all around 10 minutes long and all had that Pathe News style about them.

Here are three shorts for your delectation [or not]:

8 comments for “The skies in the 60s

1. The Blocked Dwarf
    April 21, 2018 at 18:30

1.That was dream…the reality 50 + years on is just a little difference. Ask a Stewardess for a light for your cigarette and she’d probably have the Air Marshal shoot you. Was it just me or did that girl (08:30) look rather too old to enjoy a colouring book, heaven forfend, that was staged? Still there was something magical about people dressing UP to fly. Watching the arrivals at Luton last year (Crippled Son had been off to Ruritania to rebalance the national debt in 9mm ammo) it seemed as if most people had come straight off the beach.

• April 21, 2018 at 19:56

Still there was something magical about people dressing UP to fly.

Yes. Try that trick today and it just gets you upgraded. 🙂

2. April 21, 2018 at 23:00

My first flight was on an Eastern L-1011 “Whisperjet” to Disney World.
    Got to check out the cockpit. Remember the flight as vividly as the vacation itself.
    And yeah, wore a suit and tie even though I was only 10.

• April 22, 2018 at 00:28

Think I was that age too on my first.

• The Blocked Dwarf
        April 22, 2018 at 06:48

Your parents were obviously wealthier than mine (sorry Mother, ‘class’ alone doesn’t pay the rent).I didn’t get to fly commercial until the early 90s, with 3 very small children (one handicapped) and a paranoid psychotic wife in the middle of one of her ‘episodes’ who screamed the whole flight. Mind you by the time that British Midland flight landed at Ffm I was pretty close to a psychotic episode myself….having arrived at the wrong terminal in Heathrow and having no idea how that whole ‘check in’ thing worked nor how to circumnavigate an airport and discovering that airlines *did* mind what name was on the tickets. That all after a late night dash chauffeured by a friend in the middle of ‘transitioning’ to be at the German Embassy for when the doors opened.

Flown several times since then (I’m a bit of a Ryan Air fanboy, despite having guarded the planes of the rich and famous and having seen how they fly) but i still marvel somewhat at my own kids for whom taking a flight is the first option when travelling any distance, whereas my first thought is to drive….although that might , in part, be due to my still being allowed to smoke in my car.

3. John Turnbull
    April 22, 2018 at 05:03

I worked for IHC/PanAm in the 80s so caught the tail-end of those days – depressing how things have changed for the worse. 1981 – my fiancee was flying from JFK to LHR for our wedding so I asked the 6 Continents Club if she could use their lounge at JFK before the flight – no problem then, impossible now. I was at the IHC in Dhaka and when it was time to leave the hotel GM took me to the airport and, being the GM of the Intercontinental, he (and I) were waved straight through – no passport check, no customs, straight onto the plane. Happy days, no chance of something like that now – but we have Homeland Security and whatever the UK equivalent is these days, so we’re all much more secure……..