Cautionary tales

About to go out and saw this:

Easy enough to laugh at these clowns except yesterday afternoon, just before close of play, I put a screwdriver bit through my thumb joint when it slipped off the screwhead and went a foot to the left to the hand holding the two pieces of wood together, through the glove too.

The error was trying to re-use a screw whose end had become a bit burred. It was an error I’ve never made before and yet there it was.

It will heal but it does show that when one becomes tired, it’s time to stop using power tools, do other jobs instead.

8 comments for “Cautionary tales

1. Bill
    May 24, 2018 at 08:54

Blurred ends are fine if there is a pilot hole. Oooo er missus!

2. Penseivat
    May 24, 2018 at 10:10

My grandad always had wide elastic bands in his tool box. If you place it over the burred head, the screwdriver will work. I always have some in mine. Never failed yet.

3. dearieme
    May 24, 2018 at 11:11

“when one becomes tired, it’s time to stop using power tools”: and stop driving, and stop lab work, and …….

4. The Blocked Dwarf
    May 24, 2018 at 11:56

Cordless drills are of the devil and have been the cause of countless headed screws that some noddy hasn’t replaced but left, kindly, for the next mug who comes alone…ie ME!

My Granddad, a Master Craftsman, drummed into me that you always replace a screw each time you use it and you always, always, awlays replace a headed one…so the next chippy to work on it will bless your name and light a candle in your memory.

IF i were insane enough to build a boat I would use a carpenter’s brace with a screw bit attachment (you can pick them up at car boots for next to nothing) and have a second brace set up to drill guide holes…or use a hand drill. Maybe even a third set up for countersinking. Not as fast as cordless, alot more work but no faffing with battery life.

5. Chuckles
    May 24, 2018 at 12:05

“The error was trying to re-use a screw whose end had become a bit burred.”

No, the error was in not using a clamp or clamps to hold the two pieces of wood together.

• May 24, 2018 at 13:04

Which I’ve not done with the 20,000 or whatever screws I’ve driven in previously because pine does not even need drilling. This was simply being tired and less careful and it being darker at the end of the day.

As for my two Makitas, one to drill, one to screw, piece of cake to use, most forgiving, nice slip clutch mechanism. The circular and jigsaws are also good. I run and recharge four batteries, so there’s always power.

I can’t use a handsaw now after the heart biz. Pity, as I have two nice Stanley 22 inchers here which gave a nice cut.