Rudeness as an advertising strategy

One does not wish to be unrelentingly negative but seriously – there is so much rubbish about of late that it’s very difficult finding something to be enthused about.

Take this youtube, sent by Chuckles, on a New York deli:

My first thought was, ‘nice, exotic, different’ … and then I clicked the youtube. didn’t mind the bearded one with his beard hair and encrusted this and that falling in the food, that was OK, but then someone started this cacophony with guitar which was somehow meant to be hip or whatever they call it now four decades later and it just drowned out anything he had to say.

I did try, really I did, I wanted to see what morsels they had, how people felt about the deli etc. but by about one minute, that guitar was impossible. Sigh – I went to comments to see if I was the only one who felt this way about this arrogant sod:

# I went there once, they’re actually rude like it’s no joke, but they do that on purpose.

# So they haven’t changed anything in 100 yrs – then why is this dude so full of himself?

# Lol no. Ate there with my mother once and we both said the pastrami sandwich was dry as hell, not moist, and they charge extra for lettuce and tomatoes which is ridiculous. That was back when it was $14, now it’s $24. Overrated deli.

# Whoever cut the sandwich at 1:14 cut it in very uneven halves and triggered my OCD. Just as he was talking about knife skills too.

I never got to 1:14. Nope, poor approach, rude, why on earth would you want to go there? Hotdog looked rubbish. He thinks this is good advertising? I ask merely for information.

I saw this in Russia when commerce of this nature was in its infancy and there were street signs, including overhanging, all saying the Russian equivalent of “All for you.”  It doesn’t translate exactly but it meant that out of the goodness of their hearts, Boris and mates would benignly authorize you to have access to these benefits – no mention of it costing money of course.

No stranger to arrogance myself, it really is a sign of dumbness and these clowns in Russia first of all had to change all their signs in the city and then they went out of business.

This deli son of the son of the son is clearly overwhelmed by his inherited deli’s august history and I suppose many people do go there and they do a roaring trade but they’re not having mine.

Another I’m thinking of is Betty’s in York.  Why would you go there to join that Madame Tussauds length queue?  Not even Versailles is worth that or even Firenze’s Duomo.

Post navigation

12 comments for “Rudeness as an advertising strategy

1. dearieme
    May 16, 2018 at 12:57

There was a summer when I went into Manhattan most weekends. Golly the delis were overrated. I suppose the poor sods largely hadn’t much experience of food sur le Continong.

It reminds me of a witticism from a youngster in my extended family. “Whenever an American raves about his steak it just means he’s never been in Argentina.”

2. Toodles McGhee
    May 16, 2018 at 21:04

Not to be disrespectful, and I cannot say for I have never been to yon faire isle, your homeland, from whence did my forefather’s come. But I have read, and I don’t believe everything I read, but…. have read and heard numerous times about England’s, how to say it politely(?), very humble food, bland, perhaps dull (?).

Please, oh please, do not misunderstand. I am not accusing your country of serving up mushy, tasteless victuals. That may just be oh so in the past. How would I know either way? Or…even if it was, or it is true, the mushy, bland dishes I understand the French politely as they can, do giggle and also, as discreetly as possible, do roll their cute French eyes concerning English food.

Given that and that America, ahem, the United States of
    .., is not the same all over – for now, (Yes, homogenizing us has been in the works for sometime.) and given that my daddy, when he cooked…worked his magic with food which was a deeelight to all who were honoured to partake and also to those whose fortunate sniffers were in just the right proximity to take in traveling wafts and which could only imagine the would be salivating concoctions being prepared by him for our consumption. The only thing he prepared that I did not like and he did it for his own enjoyment was….well now, I forgot the name of it. It was a root veggie of sorts and my nose hairs would cringe at the very horrendous smell that particular root veggie emitted and with which it, unfortunately, would pollute my finite world.

His steaks were prepared to perfection, done up proper like. His fresh Red Snapper Vera Cruz was to die for (hope that is correct name), his and Mama’s too, Creole Gumbo- they often teamed up for that,(I must dab my lips as they have become moist at the thought of their gumbo.) were begged for by many, many, mouths opening like week old birdies, begging, anticipating to be fed the concoction.

I would be most remiss if I neglected to speak of, and only using my most reverent of voices, his most perfectly prepared ribs and bar -b-que sauce, which was learned during his childhood from a woman who worked for his family. If you do not care for said dish, you would…if you could only have had the chance to taste, then gnaw on for hours these, these ribs…even the chicken, oh my I am getting worked up. The chicken which my mother could cut up into perfect pieces…WITH THE WISH BONE. That cute Lil wishbone piece!!! The breasts were just perfect in size and cut…not those huge monolithic things that are nearly void of taste when prepared. Sometimes small breasts will serve up just nicely. These had a certain sweetness in and of themselves and if they were part of the bar-b day, they paired just right with sauce and chef. My favorite piece, though, was the humble wing in which was left, but not eaten, the pointy part. It was neatly tucked in itself and then placed on the grill. If I was able to get a wing and why not, there were several wee chickens which had been cut up in the mix as well as ribs for my big family and whomever else was coming for the feast. I would nibble on the little drumstick wingy and later dip the pointy part, as sat I, dazed and mindlessly sucking on that thing dipping it in a bit of that brown with a tinge off maroon coloured sauce I had spooned onto my plate just for that purpose.

I was so glad that proper manners, to a point, were suspended on B-b-q Day.

Neither parent chef would dump sugar (except b-b-q sauce, brown sugar and/ or Alaga syrup/ maybe a local honey used a bit in the sauce) in the preps of these dishes as Southerners are accused of doing.

Finally, and I did not mean to go on as I always do here when I finally come up for air at N.O., the best blog around, but my daddy’s creamed, also called fried, corn down here, does require homage. I know this for a fact, that Cuddles married me because if it. He told me so. The other dishes attracted him and kept him coming back. The corn, the Silver Queen Corn, ritualistically prepared by Daddy Chef in which only he could cut off the nibblets, the kernels just so and then methodically milk the cob of it’s naturally sweet milk, by gently scraping the knife down the now naked cob. The exposed cob apparently still had goodness to yield, a certain valuable essence which is unknown by most people, sealed the deal with Cuds! The scraping was hypnotic saying, ‘You will marry Toodles. You will take her away. Please.’

The food of your shores, I am sure is just as good, well almost, depending on what and by whom it is prepared. And, btw, I am most popular with Cuds, kids and especially my father-in-law when in Fall and Winter, I prepare for them, the most English of dishes, Shepherd’s Pie. Yum!

• May 16, 2018 at 22:29

It all sounds delightful but the point of the post was that man’s rudeness and the overpriced fare for what it was. I’d rather go to your restaurant.

3. Toodles McGhee
    May 17, 2018 at 00:18

Well!!! I do believe the point has been strayed from on occasion, here at N.O.! Uh, er it, my comment, was meant for ANOTHER blog where someone LIKES me there, yeah, that’s what it was, sure it was. I just sent it to the wrong place, yeah that’s what happened.

Actually, I was replying indirectly, like a coward, to another comment here about Americans. I wasn’t miffed, just went on ad nasum missing the point.

I do apologise and will definitely stay on point from now on. Yeah, riigghhtty. I will try, how’s that?

You are welcome to “Toodles’ Restaurant.” Just bring lots of Euros! Also, my beard is ALWAYS and I mean always crumb free!

• May 17, 2018 at 06:54

Toodles, your comment was fine. It’s rough and tumble here and debate is healthy. In replying to you, I deliberately and semi-dishonestly ignored my “indeed” reply to Dearieme, which clearly showed I had accepted his point.

That “indeed” left me open to attack from any American and you did that well. Not the slightest need to apologise. Besides, you called me out in your reply on women the other day, identifying my real issue.

You even said it – if I’m going to put something out in public, then I’m going to get replies I might not like but probably need.

That’s fine. I’ve a post coming up on that sort of thing in general.

4. May 17, 2018 at 05:10

It’s a tourist trap, so the tone of gruffness will be caricaturized to exaggerated levels, much like how Disney is $accharine sweet with zero sincerity.

I will add that it has become increasingly frustrating to strain through ill-mixed communiqués where the audio background defeats the purpose of the audio foreground. (Then again, years of high decibel audio abuse bring into question the complaint.)

On top of that, using generic Texas blues music behind a Jewish deli is Incongruence City — like that pyramid bull***t in front of the Louvre.

That said, I’d love a decent pastrami ’bout now.

• May 17, 2018 at 07:01

This is the one I’ve been waiting for as you clearly have been to such places and are American. Plus you were/are in music.

5. Toodles McGhee
    May 17, 2018 at 09:30

Yes…we must all be willing to take a few hits, including lil, ole me.
    My tongue in cheek apology was a back handed apology, still I meant it, but just did it in a silly way. You know our silly American humour…much like the NY deli’s advertisment, pretty awful! 😀

On a serious note, you are correct, in that there was a point to be made. It was hijacked and was taken another way. If I can be pointed with you, well the same holds true for me from you, or anyone else here, or wherever, when I put myself ‘out there.’

If I am miffed, which I am not, but if I were , and in this situation it would really be because of something I did that was pointed out. Therefore, I should be miffed with myself. I am often miffed with myself, so I will just tell myself to get in line.

A lesson learned, I hope. What’s good for the gander is good for the goose! Sort of :-).

There is a very crass saying someone I knew years ago, would say to people if they got ‘bowed up’ over something silly, or about something in which they may have embarrassed themselves and became overly defensive; she would tell them, ‘Awwww, don’t get yer panties in a wad.!’ Significant I thought. She came from NYC and as far as I know has never produced a rude advertisment in her life. However she was known for her crass, but on point statements. I liked her.

6. Toodles McGhee
    May 17, 2018 at 09:58

Can’t you delete a duplicate comment from people who apparently tap twice unawares? Since I am repeating myself, I will repeat that.
    .”Tapping twice unawares.” Nawww, not good the second time and neither is the same comment. Ditch it if you can, pretty please.

• May 17, 2018 at 11:42

Toodles, I was in town, then on boat. Only just got back to the blog now.

7. Ubermouth
    May 17, 2018 at 13:56

Having read the comments,I have completely forgotten the post.
    I do have a question for Doodles though….What is gumbo?Sounds sticky.