Ford Crown Victoria

File under “well I never”. Haiku sends details of the Ford Crown Victoria, a car I’ve never heard of and I wonder why – probably the years. Geelong FC is sponsored by Ford, I spent many years in Victoria – never heard of this though:

Well I never:

The Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (colloquially referred to simply as the CVPIP71, or Crown Vic) is a four-door body-on-framesedan that was manufactured by Ford from 1992 1/2 to 2011. It is the law enforcement version of the Ford Crown Victoria. From 1997 to 2011, the Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor was the most widely used automobile in law enforcement operations in the United States and Canada. They were also used for this purpose on a more limited scale in other countries.

7 comments for “Ford Crown Victoria

1. Lord T
    June 14, 2018 at 13:46

Never heard of it? Perhaps not but every cop movie had one as it was the standard for Cop cars in the US.

2. June 14, 2018 at 14:37

Big Kahuna had a used Crown Vic with police colours but no other markings.
    Since people thought it was a cop car it got keyed all the time but he didn’t give a damn.

3. The Blocked Dwarf
    June 14, 2018 at 15:46

It was also standard for the US MPs when I lived in Germany in the late 90s/00s.

Always amused me; typical German-Hessian narrow highstreet, crooked ‘fachwerk’ (timber framed) houses and pubs leaning inwards , German street signs and fixtures and then suddenly an American cop car or two.

Spoke once about it to my next door neighbour at that time- he was a big black GI (who’d also married a deutsche girl) and he said that his MP friends hated the Crown Vic, a gutless wonder and terrible handling.

• Mark Matis
      June 14, 2018 at 16:01

Ah, but they’d flatten a Fiat quite nicely if given the chance. There’s no substitute for cubic inches. And that applies not merely to the vehicle’s engine, but to its total size as well.

• The Blocked Dwarf
        June 14, 2018 at 16:16

“There’s no substitute for cubic inches.”
        or as we mechs used to say “there’s no replacement for displacement”.

4. June 14, 2018 at 16:09

Well I never!

• Mark Matis
      June 14, 2018 at 21:44

That might be the source of your problem!

}:-]