Language

There is a difference between public and private behaviour, especially when it comes to language on blogs.

With my mates, I’ve been known to punctuate dialogue with the f word and s word but occasionally it comes unstuck. I was caught by surprise some months back, my mate had his mother there and the s word escaped my lips – she was appalled.

I especially do not like to swear in front of ladies, not even in the middle of congress with one of them and I notice that my mate himself – an earthy engineer – is also careful in public with this.

What has brought this on now, as distinct from in past years, is that in recent months, certain ladies have started visiting or revisiting this blog, Christians have also done so. I value all our readers. A couple of the ladies mentioned language, not asking me to censor it in any way, I hasten to point out … but they still mentioned some raw words used about their anatomy.

I’m afraid I agree with them and so I’ve been forced to modify my Policies page [see navbar], which in turn refers back here.

What really triggered this was two recent comments by male readers which I felt crossed the line, the words used had no function in the comment.

I’m at pains to point out that in my very limited sexual experiences in real life, let’s just say there was not one inch which went unexplored on either party, inside or out – both felt the full service was a necessary thing – so it’s not prudery per se which motivates this post.

For a blog which carries on though about falling standards out there and which castigates the left in particular over its grossness, can we descend to the same level?

There are ways, you know, to describe sexual things – Das Buch [Masquerade, see navbar] covers every sexual behaviour at some point … but in a Nabokov way. For example, were I to describe a heady service a lady is wont to perform, I’d just make reference to the messiness which results if she’s done the job well and leave it at that – is it necessary to salaciously or gratuitously dwell, as reader/commenter Distant Relative might say?

The best test of public behaviour to my mind is – would you talk like that in front of your mother or your daughter?

8 comments for “Language

1. The Blocked Dwarf
    June 8, 2018 at 09:16

I shall do my best to remember but if an F or C-word does slip from my lips it will be unintentional and not in anyway meant to provocate and I will not be offended if you feel the need then to edit or delete.

• June 8, 2018 at 09:32

My purpose with this post was to provide a link for the Policies page, rather than being in any kind of mood. Procedural thing.

• The Blocked Dwarf
        June 8, 2018 at 09:50

I didn’t think you were in any kind of mood, as Bill says ‘your gaff , your rules’ .

And as to speaking that way infront of my Mother or Sister I recall being shocked by my own dear Lil Sis’s language, which made full and colourful use of her degree in English and her years as a librarian, when some Norfolk numpty overtook her in a blind bend and caused her to have to flatten her tyres….a veritable litany (something I believe is only really possible in English and Russian?)….and of course all correctly declensed.

More shocking still was my middle class, ‘never heard her swear in her life’ Mother’s comment regarding something or the other- a paint roller I think ;” Never mind the length, feel the fword-ing *width*!”. This from the woman who’d box our ears as kids for a ‘damn’or ‘bloody’.

2. Bill
    June 8, 2018 at 09:36

Your gaff your rules.

3. Distant Relative
    June 8, 2018 at 10:04

“…..is it necessary to salaciously or gratuitously dwell, as reader/commenter Distant Relative might say?”

🙂 but I didn’t! I agree though! We shouldn’t be sinking to the depths of those whose actions eat away at decency and true Christian values deliberately.

4. dearieme
    June 8, 2018 at 10:37

Heavens to Murgatroyd!

All Gas and Gaiters: what was Robertson Hare’s exclamation of surprise?

Update: WKPD knows. “Oh, calamity!”

5. Pcar
    June 9, 2018 at 00:03

@James,

I posted feedback on Tim Newman’s blog about him using F & S words in an article. Said pretty much what you have: readers m&f, polite, don’t emulate left.

He would not accept and instead resorted to ad-hom & projection.

All credit to you for magnanimity.

Ref: http://www.desertsun.co.uk/blog/7365/#comment-414346

• June 9, 2018 at 02:53

Cheers, shall follow this up, it’s on the list.