24 comments for “Dire Straits

1. The Blocked Dwarf
    July 20, 2018 at 18:08

Attending Secondary Modern -which became a ‘High School’ during my incarceration and getting bullied mercilessly (with hindsight to a large degree my own fault) until I learnt that the best way to stop bullies is to hospitalize them. ’84 I think i started on a YTS in a local 2nd hand furniture store, discovered alcohol, martial arts (dropping from a 44″ waist to 32″), and a deep loathing of striking miners.

• July 20, 2018 at 18:36

I did ask … and have clicked and read. I quite sympathise but don’t know what it’s actually like – maybe one day in prison I will.

I was once kidnapped by three or four boys when I was about 11 but managed to get away after kneeing the main one in the goolies.

Generally I was left alone, which does suggest to me that the DJT slight air of the nutter is a useful thing. It seems to be what you eventually used.

2. Chuckles
    July 20, 2018 at 18:24

I got married on the 29th Dec. 1978, silly question.

• July 20, 2018 at 18:37

Ah yes, of course. Christmas and Boxing Day the last festivity of a free man.

3. Bill
    July 20, 2018 at 19:00

Building lethal weapons.

4. Distant Relative
    July 20, 2018 at 20:21

Relocating 4 times – Lancashire, Hampshire, Cambridge, Essex – but pausing long enough to buy Brothers in Arms. 🙂

5. microdave
    July 20, 2018 at 20:41

Listening to Dire Straits! I also saw them perform at the Ipswich Gaumont during that period – it must have been on the 12th Dec 1982, according to this site:

• July 20, 2018 at 20:49

While driving about in a Fiat Panda.

• microdave
        July 21, 2018 at 12:29

Nope – The current one (and it’s predecessor) hadn’t been made that far back. In the late 70’s and early 80’s my main mode of transport would have been the trusty CZ175, and various Mini’s.

6. Flaxen Saxon
    July 20, 2018 at 23:07

Getting an education and learning the benefits of being an older student amongst the female students.

7. July 21, 2018 at 02:05

I was a schoolkid watching MTV (when it was still cool).

I can always appreciate guitarists who play fingerpicking style like Knopfler.
    Also, Lindsey Buckingham, Nokie Edwards.

8. The Kaigat Of Wands
    July 21, 2018 at 03:49

Since you ask – moving around a lot – 1979 Knaresborough, Yorkshire, 1980 Gloucester, 1981-82 Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Dhaka, Port Vila, Saipan, Bahrein, Muscat, Edinburgh (married), 1984 San Antonio, 1985 Hilton Head SC. Relocated 30+ times in 65 years, nothing to boast of but it does have an effect on your personality if you start early, as I did.
    Dining in the hotel restaurant in Dhaka, which featured a live Bangladeshi band, covering Sultans Of Swing & other tracks remarkably well if a bit surreally.

• July 21, 2018 at 07:32

Married in Edinburgh, not a lot of people did that, except burghers. I was on Gretna Green with my headmistress, younger than I was [don’t ask]. Said to her – you want to get married?

Yeah, why not.

So we went looking for a wedding person but alas. True story.

9. Ubermouth
    July 21, 2018 at 05:53

In ’79 i was 14 , so babysitting,rollerskating….oh, and school most days.

• July 21, 2018 at 07:34

A sweet, innocent child, no St Trinians in you at all. 🙂

10. Mudplugger
    July 21, 2018 at 09:40

Working on a major IT project for a large corporate (which anticipated GPS, SatNav, mobile terminals etc.) – by the end of that period, I was firmly runged on the career-ladder, ultimately and through various steps, leading to some material success – that is if you regard retiring at 43 material success.

11. Penseiveat
    July 21, 2018 at 10:52

Avoiding attempts to do me harm from terrorists who may, or may not, be connected with the two who suffered “cowardly and reprehensible” attacks on their property recently; single-handedly(ish) stopped the Soviet and GDR armies from attacking the west through my part of Germany; working with the Royal Hong Kong Police on anti illegal immigrant operations; and finished by training the Field Marshals of the future in which end of a rifle you do not want to stand in front of. Then I hung up my brown camo uniform and put on a blue one – beat PC, traffic duties, and back to beat PC, helping old ladies across the road, even if they didn’t want to go! Boring life, really.