Gherkins

You might call them pickled cucumbers or even pickles – in Britain I know them as gherkins – but Chuckles has been at it with his good lady:

Now, I’ll try to find my notes on it all and I know Toodles is somewhere in here about pickles too.ย  I said:

You’re turning eastern European in your old age.

… to which Chuckles replied:

Yiddish, surely, kosher dills, as the Yanks would say. They’re incredibly easy to do, just bung a litre of water and 2-3 tablespoons of coarse salt into a plastic container, add some garlic chili, dill and dill seeds; cover, and leave for a week, stirring twice a day.

Consume. Plus they taste like they’re supposed to taste

Not sure Toodles would agree with the taste, full stop, period but I luv ’em. Haiku added:

He be a secret prepper. And, as a result, it’s causing me to wonder if we shouldnโ€™t be following suit โ€ฆ

In the light of last night’s post … maybe.ย  Now, apparently there’s more on the canning of pickles:

Canning Pickles

Happy pickling and don’t get yourself into a pickle [I’ll get my light summer jacket].

24 comments for “Gherkins

1. Distant Relative
    July 18, 2018 at 10:35

Gherkins? Is that the spook word for “undercover operatives”? ๐Ÿ™‚

An Old Salt opens up The Pickle Factory.

• July 18, 2018 at 11:15

Ah yes, was forgetting that sort of thing.

2. dearieme
    July 18, 2018 at 11:14

I’m a gherkin fan – especially in the form of “dill pickle”. Howsoever that might be I have recently discovered pickled shallots. The Garners brand is ace but pricey. I now have a jar of the Waitrose brand which I shall try in the next few days. I also like those lovely wee pickled silverskin onions.

Another pretty wonderful comestible is Sainsbury’s mango chutney, which has a mildly curry-like flavour – it contains fenugreek and whatnot. It transforms a bit of mousetrap. If, on the other hand, you happen to have some good cheddar, eat it on Rick Stein’s oat biscuits. A marriage made in top tucker heaven.

An old favourite that I’ve not had in decades is big chip-shop pickled onions with a black pudding supper. Delish.

• July 18, 2018 at 11:19

Was hoping for your input because you also do such things, as you note.

Sainsburyโ€™s mango chutney

Shall look for this.

• dearieme
        July 18, 2018 at 15:40

It’s part of their “Taste the Difference” range and comes in a square jar.

With a jar of this and a jar of Sharwood’s I’d consider the lover of mango chutneys well equipped at a basic level. We did have a couple of favourite Indian chutneys years ago – one mango, one aubergine – but they vanished from the shop shelves. So we moved over to a good Waitrose aubergine pickle but it vanished too, eventually being replaced by a much inferior line – not worth buying.

Whether we stir our stumps this autumn to make some of our own damson pickle and green tomato chutney we’ll have to wait and see. Just recently it’s been too hot even to think about such things. I am still picking brambles though. Yum, yum.

3. July 18, 2018 at 12:00
  4. Toodles McGhee
    July 18, 2018 at 17:50

Between Chuckles and dearieme and their wives AND lordsomber a girl just can’t help but swoon over all the domestic bliss and what it produces. Just reading about the pickled ‘this’ and thats’ weaken my knobby ole knees and renders me pickle breathless.

I do, however, have one suggestion — request rather. Please, oh please, oh please, please, please Do Not use mammoth size jars for the delectables.

That’s all. Oh, and hey James.

• Distant Relative
      July 18, 2018 at 18:03

Three words for you Toodles: Homemade Quince Chutney.

• Chuckles
        July 18, 2018 at 18:17

The quince crop promises to be quite good this year DR, so we shall definitely give that a try. Trouble is, the quince and blueberry cake tastes so good, it’s hard to divert the fruits to the R&D section ๐Ÿ™‚

Our last years strawberry chutney was outstanding, and this years jostaberry variety is also superb, so there are lots of possibilities out there.

5. July 18, 2018 at 18:37

Green with envy.

6. Toodles McGhee
    July 18, 2018 at 18:56

DR, if I wasn’t a married gal and you didn’t have a special one, after those three words I would be very tempted to say three words to you, ‘COME TO MAMA!!’ … Oh and be SURE to bring your Homemade Quince Chutney. Awwwww can’t come? Well then, just send the homemade quince chutney, purty please. Thanky.

7. July 18, 2018 at 19:53

Jealous.

8. Distant Relative
    July 18, 2018 at 20:57

Toodles: Will the recipe do instead?

2 pounds quinces, peeled, cored and cut into half inch cubes
    2 pounds apples, peeled cored and cut into half inch cubes
    Pint and a half of sherry vinegar – could use white wine vinegar or Chardonnay vinegar but deffo not malt.
    9 ounces chopped dates
    3/4 inch of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    half tablespoon ground mixed spice
    teaspoon ground ginger
    2 pounds light muscavado sugar
    teaspoon sea salt
    optional – quarter to a half teaspoon cayenne pepper – careful as the strength of this varies from brand to brand and can melt the tastebuds/sinuses!

Quinces and apples in large pan with half the vinegar. Bring to boil then simmer 10 mins or until quinces are just soft (apples cook quicker) Add remaining vinegar and rest of ingredients. Stir. Back to the boil then simmer for 30 mins approx until reduced and thick, stirring at intervals. Pour into sterilised jars and seal and label. Store in a cool dark place – results better if not stored in fridge. Makes about 5 or 6 pounds. Best left to mature for 2 or 3 months. We (royal we ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) make it in Sept and leave it till Christmas before opening which is why it is called Christmas Chutney chez nous. Excellent with cold meats, esp turkey, and strong cheeses etc

Can use all quinces if you like and sultanas instead of dates. And these are English measurements! This is the resident Domestic Godess’s adaptation of one from Royal Horticultural Society.

Chuckles: Can understand the dilemma cake v chutney. ๐Ÿ™‚ Sadly our quince tree is no more. It, along with our greengage tree was rent asunder by the storms. Shall have to buy some in if we want to make quince chutney this year. Strawberry chutney sounds interesting – got plenty of strawbs. Bit too hot to be slaving over a hot stove at the mo though…

Mr H – be adventurous – quarter the ingredients and have a go – ain’t rocket science ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Chuckles
      July 19, 2018 at 08:59

DR, That year we tried a white strawberry cultivar, that had a fantastic flavour and aroma, but both faded within a couple of hours of picking, and within half a day, the fruit turned to mush.

They also proliferated faster than raspberries or japanese knotweed, and simply elbowed out any other cultivar in the same bed.

In desperation Mrs. C found the chutney recipe online,and it went down very well with any who tried it. Unfortunately, over winter, we gotrid of all the white plants and replaced with a longer lasting cultivar, and she doesn’t remember where she got the recipe.
      Should it come to light, I will post.

• Distant Relative
        July 19, 2018 at 12:17

Have just strolled round the web and found this https://givemesomespice.com/2014/06/spicy-strawberry-chutney/ Looks worth a try ๐Ÿ™‚

Whodathunk Strawberry chutney can be used instead of mango chutney with curries? We live and learn!

• Chuckles
          July 19, 2018 at 13:38

That looks fairly simple and pretty good on the flavour-mix side.

Son-in-law keeps asking when we’re making the next batch, so it REALLY made an impact there. If we discover the original recipe, I’ll post it.

The jostaberry chutney we made recently is fantastic with cheeses, so I’d guess that gooseberry would be similar if you’re looking for something different. Both produced a bumper crop this year.

mrs. C is allergic to mangoes, so most commercial varieties don’t make it into the larder here, but I prefer the home grown versions in most cases, so not a problem ๐Ÿ™‚

9. July 19, 2018 at 02:14

Ba-Tempte and Grillo’s are also excellent choices — don’t know if they’re available overseas.

10. July 19, 2018 at 05:34

Well thank you DR and LS.

11. dearieme
    July 19, 2018 at 16:23

We had a mango tree when we lived in Queensland. It was notable largely for the flock of fruit bats that inhabited it.

The best mangoes we’ve bought locally have come from Pakistan. Highly seasonal but delish.

Our gooseberry bush died: split in twain. We have a new little’n to coax through the drought, along with a new redcurrant and a new pinkcurrant. We lost almost all our Alpine Strawberries to some necessary civil engineering. We must replace them – they are an utter delight.

Out apple crop this autumn will be, at most, six. That’s off four trees of different varieties. I blame the Beast From The East.

Our cherry crop so far: a bit disappointing on the sweet cherry front, promising on the Morello front.

• July 19, 2018 at 16:25

So, not an ideal horticultural year so far.

• Distant Relative
      July 19, 2018 at 17:06

“… apple crop this autumn will be, at most, six. Thatโ€™s off four trees of different varieties….”

Interesting. That is six more than us. Plenty of blossom early on but none set. Cherries also abysmal – about 1 kilo in total from 3 trees. No damsons at all and only about 2 dozen plums. Exceedingly long wet, cold, windy winter in these parts to blame. Also hailstones the size of golf balls back in May gave an unexpected pruning (also wrecked our guttering). Raspberries struggling too after being smashed to bits. Upside – bumper crop of pears for first time in 10 years and the usual glut of figs, strawbs, tomatoes. Oh and walnuts!

• dearieme
        July 19, 2018 at 21:14

Our best source of walnuts used to be finding hoards buried by squirrels in our tubs – compensation for the little buggers taking all our hazelnuts every year.

The main enemy of our rasps are pigeons – heavyweights who like to perch on the canes and break them. Our strawberry crop was large and delicious, our asparagus pathetic: we need to try a new bed with new plants, or just give up.

It’s time to earth up the tatties. The toms are getting ever closer to reddening: maybe this dry year means we’ll be spared the ruddy blight. The globe artichoke plants are looking a bit small for the time of year. The Jerusalem artichokes are in their usual going mad mode. Maybe we should keep a pig and feed him on the latter. What the amateur gardener needs is a small variety of pig suited to the size and productivity of his plot.

12. Toodles McGhee
    July 25, 2018 at 05:46

Distant Relative, I am sleep post floating at the moment. I am sleep posting at this particular post because when it was first up I remember, although as I was wide awake, all the talk about quince and homemade chutney made me go into a dream like state. There was talk a plenty in the dream state about gerkins and strawberry plants with pigeons sitting on then breaking the canes which I assume was used to protect them, about, oh, all kinds of yummy plants – toms and gooseberries and walnuts and some kind of link to grillopickles…grilled? Hey, why not? In dream posting anything is possible. I have stumbled upon a recipe as I am floating in this spot, hovering ….and there are several I really just must try when I awake, but the Homemade Quince Chutney recipe certainly made my eyelids nearly open during my dream post floating. The only problem is when I wake and am back in Nourishing Obscurity reality the recipe by DR may be but a dream. All the other delightful recipes and interesting links may…poof…disappear….be gone.

If reality zaps my pleasant dreams I just can’t help but paraphrase, or perhaps rephrase and change it all around, something my sister and near clone of mine, Katie Scarlett O’Hara, who once, or almost once must have said about the Homemade Quince Chutney recipe that was in her dream too,’ After all, dreams do come true.’