Thursday

1. Electoral Commission completely unbiased – right:

2. Trump and those tweets:

3. Hear of WeWork? You probably wouldn’t want to:

4. The decline of school sports:

In fairness, all sports have seen a decline in youth participation. People like to blame video games and social media, but those are symptoms. Youth sports require a high degree of parental support and involvement. They also require infrastructure. That local ball field exists because the city, town or county makes it a priority. That happens when you have a society of strong families adhering to traditional roles. When those families are not there to volunteer and agitate for youth sports leagues, inevitably those leagues atrophy.

5. This is worth a full post but let’s just list it here for now:

6. Last but not least, never forget this curious fact:

[H/T Chuckles and haiku]

10 comments for “Thursday

1. rapscallion
    July 19, 2018 at 07:23

Unbiased electoral commission is an oxymoron

2. The Blocked Dwarf
    July 19, 2018 at 07:31

If 1. is genuine then that is indeed worrying; *unless* instructions were issued randomly with different boxes shown being ticked?

• July 19, 2018 at 07:56

They weren’t – I still have those leaflets.

The EC justified it when it was taken up by Leave by saying that as the government was calling the referendum and had clearly stated they were Remain – no one disputes Cameron did that in his £9m leafletting – then the EC could follow suit.

• The Blocked Dwarf
        July 19, 2018 at 09:55

Not good….not good at all- especially as May has ruled out a 2nd referendum *categorically* ruled out….so by Xmas we should be on our third one and still overseen by the apparently-not-so-independent EC.

3. Bill
    July 19, 2018 at 09:01

1. Spot the lie? “your ballot paper”. It isn’t yours its the property of the state. Keep voting.

4. Chuckles
    July 19, 2018 at 11:09

Vote early, vote often.

5. dearieme
    July 19, 2018 at 13:52

“Youth sports require a high degree of parental support and involvement.”

What an odd lot the yanks are, micromanaging their children, cheating on their homework for them, and converting them into spoiled brats.

My youth sports required little more parental support than a bit of cash for boots, a mum willing to stick my jerseys and stockings in the wash, and a half set of cut-down hickory-shafters for my first golf clubs. Beyond those I depended on ordinary pocket money and hand-me-downs, such as my dad’s old box for cricket, and steel-shafters once I was old enough to use adult-sized clubs. For football kickabouts no parental support at all was required beyond the provision of ample provender on return to the ancestral acres.

If you count sailing as a sport, then add to that a combined birthday and Xmas present, for a combined me and my brother, of a small dinghy plus permission to use the old boy’s too. There we did get a bit of parental instruction but, happily, no overbearing interference. Once I was earning enough at weekend and summer jobs I didn’t even ask the folks to pay for boots.

Oops, I almost forgot. He did teach us to shoot but there was no question of treating me to my own rifle. Famous conversation: “Dad, can I have a motorbike?” Him: “I don’t know, can you afford it?”

• July 19, 2018 at 16:29

I was one of those kick the football on the streeters until the car came by. All the boys were out there, the girls were hopscotching and wouldn’t let us join in.

6. July 19, 2018 at 14:57

To ensure a pleasant drinking ‘experience’ without a straw, Starbucks now has a new plastic cup cover with a sippy-lip. The additional plastic in the new, improved, prominent lip is greater than the plastic straw.