When is it time to sell that car?

The Mail had the article:

Should somebody who needs written instructions on how to drive taped to the dashboard even be on the road? Flower show chaos as jewellery designer, 80, sends stands flying after ‘hitting accelerator instead of brake’

One of the greatest problems with aging, for other people who have to deal with it, is that the aging person does not accept that he or she can’t do it any more.

My attitude to aging is that I shall adjust my life according to impairment.  My mother, once she got to this point, unfortunately was a bit of a handful and apparently took the keys to her car and drove it – down the wrong side of a motorway.  They stopped her, my stepfather sold the car.

He himself was still working and relied on that car to get him out and about but even he recognized the signs when he clipped his garage door upright – it was time to give it away.

My own retirement from the road was in Russia, the car herself was on her last legs, I sold her and bought a Macbook Pro.  When I got back to Blighty, it didn’t seem a good idea to get back on the road with the insane police presence and my cavalier way of driving … so I didn’t get back into it.  I’d have racked up points like nobody’s business.

I’ve no regrets whatever.  One ages, that’s that.

Are you prepared to age gracefully or in a Dylan Thomas way?

15 comments for “When is it time to sell that car?

1. robbo
    July 17, 2018 at 07:40

If you watch a lot of you tube videos on motoring like i do its usually automatics that get people in trouble especially v8 american cars, I think the old lady in question had never driven an automatic before!

2. July 17, 2018 at 07:59

Being an old fart and still behind the wheel and owning an automatic I find that lack of memory effects all ages, the old git that can’t find second gear and go over 30 in a 40 zone, the middle aged crisis twat driving a porsche that he can’t handle and should remember his age, the young lads who forget that there is anyone else on the road and worse of all the young “ladies” who forget to get in the right lane, indicate at junctions and roundabouts, never give way never acknowledge when you give way for them and seem to think that doing their makeup whilst texting at 90 mph in the middle lane of the motorway is “normal”.

But what do I know I’m just an old fart driving an automatic…

3. July 17, 2018 at 08:05

There are elements of truth in all of that.

4. Mudplugger
    July 17, 2018 at 08:34

Being another old fart with 50 years of license-holding and heading for 2m miles of driving, I am conscious of the potential for age-related deterioration. My own father ‘managed’ his driving decline by first avoiding cities, then avoiding motorways, then avoiding darkness – his final driving was only to local places he knew well, in daylight and good weather, he remained safe until his mortal ‘license’ terminated at 86.

My fleet currently contains one automatic, the rest being manual – that mix maintains concentration and, so far, has not provoked any pedal-confusion. I aim to keep driving for as long as it is sensible – in my ideal termination, they’ll have to wrest the keys for the hearse from my rigor-mortis grasp in the box behind.

In reality, the pressure to continue driving depends largely on where you live and where you need to travel – in Inner London, any diving seems illogical because other, more feasible, options exist: outside the capital it’s a very different matter, a fact which seems lost on the authorities residing within the M25. The further away, the more that difference is emphasised.

5. Penseivat
    July 17, 2018 at 10:22

Being in that dotage period of my life, and having had my driving licence renewed twice (70 & 73), I feel that a driving test should be retaken before the licence is renewed instead of DVLA relying on a self-certificated statement of health. About 3 months or so before my main, and then the 70 years of age renewal, I had an ex Police colleague, a traffic officer, sit with me while I drove. I am aware of the years creeping up but still do a lot of motorway driving as well as local journeys.
    Like angus dei, I get annoyed by the members of the Middle or Outer Lane Owners Club on motorways but understand that my days of pulling them over are long gone. Similarly with those cars, usually Audis or BMWs, which are built without indicators (it surely can’t be the drivers being ignorant or inconsiderate, could it?).
    I’m reminded of the joke about the old boy in a pub, complain to his friends about his early onset of dementia, his Parkinson’s disease, and his cataracts. “Thank goodness it’s not all bad.” he says, “At least I still have my driving licence.”

6. FrankH
    July 17, 2018 at 10:49

I had a TIA (mini stroke) when I was 60, it left me with a blind spot in my vision* and the doctors told me not to drive. I know some people continue to drive against their doctors’ orders (advice?) but I wasn’t prepared to do that so I haven’t driven for 9 years. I sometimes miss it and if it were just my life on the line I think I’d probably carry on driving, but it isn’t so I don’t. The decision was not difficult.

* When I went to see my GP after I came out of hospital I described my symptoms to her and she told me I had … and she said something in Latin. When I asked her what that was in English she said “It means you have a hole in your vision” and I thought “I’ve just told you I have a hole in my vision and your diagnosis is that I have a hole in my vision in Latin”. That was the moment I lost confidence in that particular GP.

7. July 17, 2018 at 11:08

Thank you, gentlemen.

What I did notice was that on the bike, following the car, I was always pretty sharp until about three years ago and it was the first bit of wonkiness while carrying a bag of shopping.

Thought it best to give self-instigated vehicular transportation away.

8. Chuckles
    July 17, 2018 at 11:40

It is the person, not their age, that determines such things.

9. dearieme
    July 17, 2018 at 14:22

At what age do codgers become as dangerous as 18-year-olds, on average? About 80, maybe? Then that’s the age to retest them at.

• Mudplugger
      July 17, 2018 at 20:30

When the risk-aware insurance companies will charge an 18-year-old more than £3,000 for a basic Corsa, for which an 80-year-old would pay less than £500, then I think we have the route towards an answer.

Any proposed re-test age should thus be set at the cross-over point of the risk-assessed insurance premium – around 120 years old by current reckoning. If I make it to 120, I’ll happily re-sit the test then.

• dearieme
        July 17, 2018 at 21:32

Excellent argument. Raise the driving age to 25. Let ’em ride motorbikes.

P.S. What is a “Corsa”?

10. The Blocked Dwarf
    July 18, 2018 at 00:04

I drive a 1992 French tractor (ie non-turbo diesel automatic ). Reliable as whatis but you could time its acceleration on a calendar and if I ever manage to get a ticket driving it then I shall frame it…after crayoning it in Gold.

Not-so-funnily enough, Youngest Son Of The Dwarf (26?27?-look if I can remember his name I’m doing well these days!) was round here today surfing for a new car and checking each model for insurance quotes. There was a constant stream of ‘HOW MUCH?! YER F**** KIDDIN’ to be heard. Then , just for a laugh, he punched in my number plate. About half of what I pay now, laughable excess , free courtesy car, breakdown, windshield and a voucher for a brothel of his choosing! I have 6 years no claims, he has 3. He has had points for driving without insurance or even a licence I haven’t and I have held my clean licence since he was 7 or 8 I think.
    Am I feeling hard done by? You bet I bloody am!

11. Mark Matis
    July 18, 2018 at 01:41

When my time comes, I would much rather die in my sleep like my grandfather.

Instead of screaming in terror like all the passengers on the bus he was driving…