ASDA

The good and the bad – their advertising is woeful, can’t find a good pic of their apple pie, so had to use this:

Point is, some 6-9 months ago, they were struggling against Lidl and Aldi and were reducing their lines, there were fewer staff, fewer tills and so on – signs of a store on its way out.

Then they started doing something without advertising that they were doing it – I was talking to ASDA UK today by phone – in this was vastly increasing the quality of their own lines.  They have two levels – Smart and then Home brand. Go for Home because it not only undercuts the Name brands of that item, it’s actually better in some cases.

An example is the apple pie, plus the meat pies.  You’ll only know by actually buying and eating them and the packaging look is not meant to undercut the Name brands.  But they’re banking on a savvy shopper who knows value [not saying I am but it’s banking on this type].  There is much talk in the aisles between customers.

Now, as you know, most large bought apple pies have thick crusts and bases, masses of goo and some diced apple inside.  I swear this ASDA one is crammed with slices of real apple in layers, some goo but not much.

I use their loo roll and other common items – that’s one thing – but it’s this improvement in foodstuffs which has surprised.  Their spicy meatfeast pizza is as good as any I’ve tasted.  Their gingernut biscuits are superb – not teeth-shattering but softer and you can taste the ginger.  Someone is behind this and they’ve done well.

What they’re clearly aiming for is quality at a good price, rather than just rock bottom prices – they do have that in the Smart range but aim above that.

Methinks they need to get their PR working better because their products do stand up now and they should be showing their wares.

9 comments for “ASDA

1. The Blocked Dwarf
    August 29, 2018 at 09:07

That apple pie looks incredible, very ‘home made’. I have become very dishearten over the years with ‘apple pies’ that contain nothing but orchard flavoured napalm…or ‘goo’. Apple compote is a wonderful thing, as is sugar syrup but not mixed together and then heated to ‘spend all evening sucking on ice cubes’ levels. Does that apple pie have cinnamon in it and can you taste it if it does?

• August 29, 2018 at 09:14

No it doesn’t and one can’t – this and nutmeg and sultanas, plus mixed dried fruits, would be a nice addition. My coffee almost always has cinnamon and nutmeg.

I make my own strudel and next time will do that. Don’t know why I haven’t for a long time. Just too lazy to do the puff pastry. Yet they sell the mix.

Ok, that’s on the list for Friday.

What’s the German word for cuisine? Is it the Russian word Kuchnia? Deautsches Kuchnia or whatever? Anyway, I’m quite partial to it, but mainly that from Oesterreich.

• The Blocked Dwarf
        August 29, 2018 at 09:21

Hmmmmm Strudel…..
        (if you haven’t tried something called ‘Mohnstrudel’ -‘poppy seed strudel’ then that’s one to look out for too ..I love it…unfortunately my IBS doesn’t 🙁 )

• August 29, 2018 at 09:38

Shall look for that. Apfelstrudel mit Mohn.

That other term was deutsche Küche. Close to the Russian Kuchnia, or vice-versa.

I do like deutsche Küche but my waistline doesn’t.

2. The Blocked Dwarf
    August 29, 2018 at 09:38

Money of course does not buy happiness but it *will* buy you genuine German ‘covered apple pie’ and a latte….and Czech caporals.

-that had, if i recall aright, in addition to the aforementioned spices, raisins soaked in rum…yes really.

• August 29, 2018 at 09:40

Wonderful, yes. As with quite a few in this land here, I like all the national cuisines in Europe but especially the eastern European [through the Russians]. They do one called Plov, rice based and it is nice. They do a pie with it in too.

• The Blocked Dwarf
        August 29, 2018 at 19:11

“By the same token, we have some fabulous food in these isles too – the cheeses, pasties, scones, the fish is N1.”

Yes we do …Cheddar which doubles as bath soap, pasties zat may only be crimped vun vay according to the fascists at the Cornvall Pastie Purity Kommission , ‘Scones’ that the illiterati pronounce to rhyme with traffic ‘cones’ . Not sure what ‘N1’ means but the fish here comes out of the North Sea precooked…thanks to Windscale

3. dearieme
    August 29, 2018 at 13:24

Timely advice: our apple harvest this autumn is on course to provide a max of six fruit. Untimely advice: their 25%-off-six offer on wine seems to have ended.