Leftovers are go!

It would have been nice to put in some chopped onion but I have none, plus I’ve already eaten peppers today.

There’s garlic and herb mince, tomatoes, cabbage, pepper sauce, mashed potato on top mixed with creme fraiche and basil over that – should be OK.

Plan is to finish the haddock as a starter with a little of the cabbage, lemon, tartare, then an hour later, half the cottage pie, the rest tomorrow morning.

Bottom line, as anyone who cooks knows, is it’s often these “second day-ers” which have all the flavour.

Your plans this evening?  This is the finished product by the way – with the haddock starter.  The red is for the cottage pie later of course:

7 comments for “Leftovers are go!

1. The Blocked Dwarf
    September 8, 2018 at 16:59

French Fries whitebread sandwiches for me and french fries with fried aborted chickens (ie eggs) for The Bestes Frau.
    Almost zero washing up cos my copy of Andy Orchard’s book on Beowulf came today and that definitely has my name written on it for this evening…

• September 8, 2018 at 23:48

Beowulf eh? Keeping it modern.

• The Blocked Dwarf
        September 9, 2018 at 06:49

Modern for Norfolk perhaps. I live in a town where the murder of the publican by Roundheads in 16whatever is still spoken of in terms that suggest it happened just outside living memory.

Being able to recite , at the drop of a Seax, an entire fitt, has proven to be a useful tool. As I’m sure you know every student of OE gets confronted -as soon as he or she admits to studying it- with either “old English-that’s like Shakespeare, right?’ or ‘Go on give us some, say sumfink in old English?’ Grendel may have come from under the white misty cliffs but I give them Beowulf from inside a cloud of blue smoke.

Although the other day I was asked by a lady what I was mumbling under my breath and when I replied ‘Old English poetry’ she replied, to my delight and surprise “I alway found OE poetry to be a bit depressing -oh poor old me stuck in a boat and freezing to death or woe is me my entire village was slaughtered and i have no where to call home” (which is a fair summary of two of the more famous OE poems).

2. dearieme
    September 8, 2018 at 22:05

Lasagne and salad. Raspberries and brambles from the garden. A glass of Tempranillo.

• September 8, 2018 at 23:49

Nothing like a nice lasagne and the washer-downer sounds good too.

3. September 9, 2018 at 03:35

Skillet-seared rosemary pork cube steaks (shoulder), rice with Ro-Tel.