Sidecars

It’s crossed the mind once or twice to get back into driving and for that, there is only one vehicle for me, this being from their site:

I would always buy a cabriolet or convertible because the ragtops today are so much better than they were.  Even my old one in the 90s, on Christmas Day at the top of one hill in the Cairngorms, was warm enough inside.

But these days, traffic, Plod, parking  and premiums put a dampener on pleasure in the UK.  Maybe it’s better to go this route:

Now for that, you’d need firstly a place to get the job done and secondly, a bikey/mechanic type.  As it happens, I have both.

I’m not seriously considering it, the boat is the main thing … but a man can think about things, no?

Maybe at this age, turn female and get this instead:

Post navigation

12 comments for “Sidecars

1. Mudplugger
    October 21, 2018 at 09:00

I bought one of the folding-hardtop MX5s when they first came out, kept it for 5 years and enjoyed every trip. Remarkable handling, brilliant engineering and that folding hardtop was a feat in itself – having owned leaky, draughty rag-tops 30+ years ago, there’s no comparison.

In terms of style, I prefer the Fiat version of the current model but, because it has too many Fiat components, albeit assembled by Mazda, that’s probably best avoided.

Get an MX5 and (re)discover the joys of fresh-air motoring, that’s my tip.

2. Tom
    October 21, 2018 at 09:46

The MX5 is a little beauty. My sister has one and is very happy with it. Sadly at 6’ 7” I’m too tall to get in so I can’t have a go but she’s a great driver and reckons it’s good fun. I’d go for it if I were you. A jaunt around the Horseshoe Pass with the wind in your hair would do your spirit good. I drove from Oxford to London with the roof down on my baby yesterday and it put a lasting smile on my face.

3. October 21, 2018 at 09:55

Now boys, I’m sorely tempted.

4. dearieme
    October 21, 2018 at 13:16

“a cabriolet or convertible”: I’ve always wondered what the difference is.

What I want is a vehicle with a high driving position, easy to get in and out of – so, like a Land Rover – but with a folding metal roof. And, a well disguised Gatling gun.

• October 21, 2018 at 13:34

One’s spelt in French?

Gatling gun – that historic touch.

Wiki:

Other terms for convertibles include cabriolet, cabrio, drop top, open two-seater, open top, soft top, spider, and spyder. Consistency is rare about the current use of cabriolet in preference to convertible.

The term cabriolet originated from “a light, two-wheeled, one-horse carriage with a folding top, capable of seating two persons”, however the term is also used to describe other convertibles these days.

In the United Kingdom, fully enclosed convertibles with two doors have been referred to as drophead coupés, while four-door cars have been referred to as all-weather tourers.

• October 21, 2018 at 13:55

I have occasionally heard the term, ‘drophead coupé’, but over the past half century have never been so interested as to bother discovering what it was. Thanks James. I will now not have to wonder, even in a very desultory fashion, were I to hear it again.

• Mudplugger
      October 21, 2018 at 16:24

It was always reckoned that the reason most new BMW, VW and Mercedes cars came with a sun-roof was some pre-engineering for when they next needed to install a turret and point the sat-nav towards Poland. . . . . . .

5. Mark Matis
    October 21, 2018 at 16:54

Nah. Not a Bimmer. Surely you’ve heard the one about:

How do you tell the difference between a porcupine and a BMW?

Instead, go for one of these:

That way you’ll be FAR more unique, and won’t be supporting them friggin’ Krauts!

}:-]

• October 21, 2018 at 20:57

Many [uncomplimentary] things have been said over the years about this product of a drunken works party but I’m one of the admirers to a point.

• Mark Matis
        October 22, 2018 at 14:17

And then there are these as well:

which would still be far more unique than any Bimmer you might consider.

• October 22, 2018 at 15:27

3.2L V6

Not shoddy.

• Mark Matis
            October 22, 2018 at 21:38

And enough to flog around enthusiastically on any public road you choose. 330 hp with 3200 weight isn’t bad. Of course, if you’re going to run it regularly on the Nürburgring or even only at Silverstone, you would surely want more. But this can get you arrested, or at least a ticket, from any plod in the UK. And would cost you less than any Bimmer, and also get you more attention, because there are less of these in the UK than any Bimmer out there.