Place setting for dinner

All very well you preparing this sumptuous repast this dinner time but have you set out the places correctly?

All right – over to you to tear apart … or not.

[H/T Chuckles]

14 comments for “Place setting for dinner

1. Distant Relative
    December 6, 2018 at 17:08

Dessert spoon and fork are the wrong way round. Spoon should be above the fork.

Links available in case of argument. 🙂

2. Ripper
    December 6, 2018 at 18:00

10 – Soup bowl and 11 – salad plate are the wrong way around in the key.

3. December 6, 2018 at 18:17

5 and 6 should be to the left, 7 and 8 should be in the row. Each guest should have 24″, not 21″ to sit at. Invite fewer guests.

Soup spoon I prefer round but that can be argued.

Actually, 10 and 11 are perhaps OK. Salad into a small bowl, the soup plate then has the soup bowl from the kitchen placed upon it, spoon rests beside the bowl, on the plate.

4. Distant Relative
    December 6, 2018 at 18:26
    • December 6, 2018 at 19:04

Gauche if not. Never ever cutlery horizontally across the top of the plates – that’s for the glasses and fingerbowl. Those articles are wrong if applied to formal settings. However, the second article refers to informal settings, so that’s fine.

This explains it:

A good rule of thumb to adhere to is to base your decision on how many courses are being served. Any more than three and it’s proper to place all the cutlery at each side of the place setting.

But also note Ivan’s comment.

• Distant Relative
        December 6, 2018 at 19:42

Bollocks, dear Sir! 🙂

I’ve been to my fair share of formal dinners with the high and mighty and it has always been as I posted until servants, after clearing away other courses, moved the spoon and fork from that starting position placing the spoon to the right and fork to the left.

The French set their cutlery with the tines face down on the table cloth to impress their guests with the quality of their silverware – goes back to the days when silverware was actually silver and embellished with ornate family crests.

• December 6, 2018 at 19:47

I’ve been to my fair share of formal dinners with the high and mighty

As have I in the 90s. I do understand they do not do things by the book these days.

The French set their cutlery with the tines face down on the table cloth

Yes, that bit I know and you’ll notice I said nothing about the spoon and fork wrong way round – I agree with you.

5. The Blocked Dwarf
    December 6, 2018 at 18:37

Since the dishwasher went kaputt and my not having enough money round to buy a new one, we’ve been using as much plastic cutlery and plates as we can (I loathe washing up by hand , despite having worked as a plongeur and having had to wash up for 70 etc) so the picture looked ok to me but that was going by what I could recall from what we were taught in cubs for our ‘house keeping’ badge! I kid not, we went to a local B&B and were instructed in table laying, bed making (although even back in the late 70s no sane person still used blankets and sheets but duvets) and other dark arcane arts of hostelry.

However I find the picture to be highly offensive to the “Kack Handed” .

• December 6, 2018 at 19:08

I’m going back to blankets.

• ivan
      December 6, 2018 at 19:23

I think the problem of ‘handedness’ is something we have to live with. Over the years I have managed to ‘acquire’ or make various knives that cut the correct way for a left handed person – I even found a set of splades designed for left handed use.

But it appears almost impossible to get them to layout the place settings the correct way.

• December 6, 2018 at 19:31

Handedness is an issue, especially if known of beforehand.

6. December 7, 2018 at 01:57

If you think this is complex, check out Japanese or Korean place settings.

7. Andy5759
    December 7, 2018 at 14:41

Us sinister types also need to get to crowded tables first for an end seat.

My rule of thumb for cutlery is, work from the outside in.

8. December 7, 2018 at 16:08