The Empress of Cauliflowers

Chuckles is just too self-effacing but the tale must be told:

Everyone needs a worthy project and finally achieving the definitive cauli is as good as any. He writes:

We’ve tried for decades, finally our reference standard.

He goes on to reflect and perhaps rue:

If we had some early melons, could it be a melon cauli baby?

Now, how are your projects going, culinary, horticulturally or otherwise, dear readers?

11 comments for “The Empress of Cauliflowers

1. dearieme
    March 25, 2019 at 15:56

Culinary: herself is cataloguing the contents of our freezers, and tidying up the fraggies discovered. Today it was the turn of a tub of Guinea Fowl stock and a bag of rather coarse Borlotti beans. Add onions, tatties, parsnips, and some franks and, voilà, soup enough for two lunches for two. Bread and butter too, of course.

Horticulturally: the hot news is that our compost is being turned without any effort from us us because there is a creature in the compost bin that does the job for us. Mole? Hedgehog? Rat? We don’t know, we never see it. But t’other day it even did us the service of turning up a long lost tea spoon.

• March 25, 2019 at 17:12

… the hot news is that our compost is being turned without any effort from us us because there is a creature in the compost bin that does the job for us. Mole? Hedgehog? Rat? We don’t know …

Oh, I do like that.

2. The Blocked Dwarf
    March 25, 2019 at 19:02

My goal this year to learn 200+ OE verbs by rote in the present and past tenses (in the indicative) proceeds at a somewhat slower pace than I had hoped (I now have some 50 ‘down’ thanks for asking) not because of any wet ware problems my end although an upgrade would be really useful but because I have to recheck everything in the text book first before learning it. I have found no end of mistakes -and I don’t even claim any proficiency in the bloody language (if an idiot like me can find them then…) anyways I am in regular email contact with the author about that and it seems, for whatever reason, the book didn’t receive a final edit before going to press.

Now excuse me I have a hot date with a little filly of a preterite present.

3. Distant Relative
    March 25, 2019 at 19:19

Currently contemplating how many tomato plants and what kind to grow and whether to put them in tubs, of which I have plenty, or dig a new bed, which will hurt. Also relocating some rose bushes. For a cerebral to-do list, trying to decide which of my growing pile of unread books to read next. Choice of three – The Gnostic Religion by Hans Jonas subtitled The Message of the Alien God & the Beginnings of Christianity; The Tao te Ching – I forget the name of the translator; or Prolonging the Agony by Jim MacGregor and Gerry Docherty. The first one might give me nightmares of ET and little grey men…. 🙂

4. dearieme
    March 25, 2019 at 20:48

Freezers, continued: this evening some Black Pudding trouvée was combined with Lane Prince Albert purée, plus onion, bacon, and mash, to yield Himmel und Erde.

Best to use up the winter food in the next few weeks, don’t you think? Especially since we’ll be forbidden to eat foreign muck after Brexit; if you don’t believe me just ask the Remoaners.

5. Andy5759
    March 26, 2019 at 00:10

Price reduced lamb bones. They’ve been sitting in the freezer all winter. Maybe I’ll cook up a stew and refreeze it. I can’t waste them, they cost just over £1!

Still sawing and splitting bits of my felled beech tree so the garden can wait. If only it would wait, there will be plenty of blackberries though.

My to read pile doesn’t get a look in after NO, Woodpile, Ambush Predator, White Sun, Crusader Rabbit, GoV …

My money would be on hedgehogs turning the compost. Especially if it’s a proper compost with brandling worms. Ever thought of selling some to a fishing tackle shop for a tidy seed fund?

• dearieme
      March 26, 2019 at 00:31

We’ve eaten snails from the garden but never a hedgehog. Bet we’ve got a recipe somewhere. But it would be a shame to consume such a willing worker.

• Andy5759
        March 26, 2019 at 10:29

Indeed. I have never eaten one but understand that they are very tasty and nutritious, perhaps that is why there are fewer of them around these days. Not many compost heaps around for them to hide in either.

6. March 26, 2019 at 02:03

No one’s slacking on the job then.

7. Mark in Mayenne
    March 26, 2019 at 06:16

I tried to grow cauliflower last year. Complete fail. Plants grew, but no cauliflower was to be seen nor eaten.

• March 26, 2019 at 07:20

Except by some burrowing creatures of the night?