Pre-election [7]

35. Swept in on a buzz phrase

The Tory buzz expression upfront the entire campaign was Get Brexit Done and the people fell for it in droves instead of just reading the text – reading the text is too difficult for the lazy and disinterested who nonetheless have the vote.

This is NOT Brexit Johnson proposes, not in the least and that will become apparent around June.

People will suddenly start saying, ‘But we were promised Brexit,’ just as they did post-May in 2017 and then acted all surprised when the fisheries did not come back, when we were still paying billions, when the EU justice system was still in control.  [Please don’t tell me the Eurocourts are different to the EU, they are tied together as previously shown many times.]

The good thing about this result is that Corbyn communism was rejected, Swinson lost her seat etc., so that part was good.

But mark my words, those who voted Tory – what you thought you were voting for – Brexit – simply is not what was voted in … and to answer the question, ‘But was Johnson not preferable to Corbyn?’ … well of course he was, not too many in the country think the left is anything but a disaster … but that’s not the point, is it, as we’ve been trying to get across the whole time to readers? Th point is that Johnson has no intention of delivering Brexit.

Could the result have been otherwise?  Not after the pig’s breakfast Farage made of it all but he’d lost major donors, he did not have a party infrastructure, he had not put a coherent manifesto up front and centre.  He was manoeuvered into supporting one side of the Red-Blue two-party choice which people seem unable to get out of their heads.

The analogy has been used many times of the boat going down the river, crashing first into the Tory wall, then across to the Labour wall, then across to the Tory wall and so on, down the river.

And that’s where we’ve been sold once again, just as in 2017.

Ho hum, I did not stay up for it.  It’s 5:41 now.  So be it until June. The header words “No Deal” are just as relevant now as they were before last night.

34. “The FBI is too big for its breeches”

In the light of current issues across the pond on FISA and the FBI …

[Click on pic and keep clicking until it enlarges – those below do not enlarge]

… in the light of all that in December, 2019, I’d suggest, if you can spare the time, in order to get an idea of how this is Big Boys’ Business over there, that this episode of Nero Wolfe will provide the atmosphere if not the detail [set in Hoover’s time].

Being almost fictional but true to the spirit of the truth, this was one of the best episodes in the Wolfe series and certainly gets across that atmosphere which has never gone away.

Grab your tipple and enjoy:

33. Housekeeping

Not 100% today and it might just be wise to lay low and only sporadically live blog during the counting, as and when your humble blogger is awake.

Just to share something amusing – to get to our polling station, it involves, along the route, climbing a hill, usually not an issue and today, despite the slippery grass and avoiding the mud slide, it was ok on the way there, climbable.

The vote itself was straightforward.

Half the journey back was straightforward too, the only tricky bit was going down that hill, feet flew up, flat on my back, the winter jacket and new jeans acting as a toboggan through the mud and straight onto the slip road speedway where a young lady had already stopped and as the two vehicles came close, she was remarkably good about it all, asking if I was ok.

I was fine, it’s fun sleeping on a sliproad, you should try it sometime. What’s not fun is the soaking and washing of said gear.

How was your day?

18 comments for “Pre-election [7]

1. Andy5759
    December 12, 2019 at 17:51

I do hope that it was only your pride that hurt after your tumble. My day? Uneventful thank goodness. Voted, fire lit, supper organised, beer in the fridge, snacks for the election marathon. Check, check, check. All done except a quick prayer that my fellow countrymen are too sensible to vote for red or orange. I asked the lady at the polling station how the turnout is turning out, her eyes went like saucers as she nodded emphatically. Interesting times indeed.

2. Chuckles
    December 12, 2019 at 18:36

Now, now it is really not necessary to try to copy everything that I do Remain an upright citizen, it suits you better. 🙂

3. dearieme
    December 12, 2019 at 18:45

Were you wearing walking boots, Hob?

Please tell me that you weren’t wearing wellies.

• December 13, 2019 at 06:06

Andy – fine, still not quite old enough for a fall to be more than a fall, plus at 45 degrees, there wasn’t so far for the back to fall. Head never hit and the mud was soft.

Chuckles – sincerest form of flattery.

Dearieme – sad to say, I was not in wellies, though I did spy them near the door before departing and thought … hmmmm … – I was in low winter boots, neither hobnailed nor serrated.

4. dearieme
    December 12, 2019 at 18:50

I went out to the garage, removed a loaf from the freezer, de-frosted it in the microwave, and then had a lovely ham sandwich for lunch, with a mug of soup.

I had already voted by post.

• December 13, 2019 at 06:04

Defrosted ham sandwich – sounds yum.

5. woodsy42
    December 12, 2019 at 21:58

33 – Sorry about the slither, fortunately I had a better day than you! Met up with some friends for an excellent pub lunch, back home with them to continue the catchup over leisurely coffee, then when they left drove down to the polling station to do the cross in a box stuff. Worst thing was driving through the somewhat over-enthusiastic ‘puddles’.

• December 13, 2019 at 06:02

Sounds lovely, puddleducking. Go to it rightly.

6. December 13, 2019 at 09:05

Bottomed out, eh, JH? Very apt for an election day. I hear Cor-Bin did too.

• December 13, 2019 at 11:21

Further notes soon.

7. Distant Relative
    December 13, 2019 at 09:09

35. So that’s it then. Wonder if Farage deliberately made a mess of it? Hmm. Swinson lost her seat? Would have a good laugh at that but can’t risk a coughing fit.

33. Glad no serious damage was done. Spent the day propped up on cushions listening to The Scarlet Pimpernel interspersed with hot toddies. Onward and upward, as they say.

8. Bob H
    December 13, 2019 at 09:59

Spoiled my ballot for the first time ever.
    Every local candidate a fanatic Remainer and there’s absolutely no way would I ever vote for that treacherous turd Julian Smith who has spent the last 3 years trying his damnedest to stop Brexit.

9. Brightside Bob
    December 13, 2019 at 13:05

Hello Mr H. I am in a state of shock. Well, not really.

I ‘appen to live in Angela Smiths former(tee hee) constituency.

I would have bet (almost) everything I own on Liebour winning &
    the Tories coming a close 2nd (like in 2017…).

Those of us who voted for the Brexit Party would, of course, be howled down for wrecking it for them (just as we did voting UKIP in 2017).

To think, that in years gone by, it was Hallam that was the only part of The Soviet Socialist Republic of Sheffield that would ever be Conservative.

10. Wolfe
    December 13, 2019 at 14:07

Only had the main 3 plus green on my ballot. What choice did I have in this one horse race.

Felt contrived that way.

• December 13, 2019 at 14:10

That’s the general feeling, yes.

Comments are closed.