Letter from Van Diemen’s Land

To be precise, this video is a short trip down the (my) Derwent River, west side, the ‘city’ side.

Aerial views from 1500ft of the western shore of the River Derwent at Hobart,Tasmania from Boyer in the north to Tinderbox in the south. Filmed on a sunny summer morning. Some of the video is sped up to reduce the overall duration.

You might like to pause around … say … 6.05 for example …

Amfortas

Post navigation

7 comments for “Letter from Van Diemen’s Land

1. Andy5759
    January 15, 2020 at 01:07

Wonderful. It’s a bit like a postcard saying wish you were here. Cruel but kind.

• January 15, 2020 at 04:29

🙂 No cruelty intended Andy, but yes, the wishes of being here are extended. It is a beaut spot here and just barely captured in this short flight. My home is clearly visible at the time mentioned but I won’t point it out exactly. I shall say only that I sit about 100-150 ft above sea level and 500 metres as the seagulls fly from the water. It is good for the soul simply to look out of my window,

Most folk have an imagining of Tasmania as cold and isolated. It ain’t. It is a good 10 deg C higher than the UK most of the time, sunny and so clean. Just right. The Big Island to the North gets far hotter of course and is tropical in the far North, Queensland. Tasmania is the size of Ireland but has just 500,000 folk. Not at all crowded even in the heart of Hobart. We don’t sing about it like the Irish 🙂

2. Toodles
    January 15, 2020 at 17:54

Amfortas, what a beautiful place to live! Who knew how wonderful it was….maybe everybody but me knew.

I have a physical and emotional need to live near the water, plus it is just so fun to watch nature and people and to just be around.

The color of the water there, by the way, is delicious…yummy looking. The blues and greens mottled together in varing hues takes my breath. Also, I find the long meandering, sometimes smooth, sometimes jagged shoreline intriguing. It is anything, but boring and there are so many adjectives waiting to tell about it.

What I found so fascinating in the video was seeing you through that window of yours looking out at the water as we flew by. You looked snazzy in your burgundy dinner jacket and fancy underdrawers with the hearts on them. They said, I love Hobart! Nice knees too!

3. January 16, 2020 at 00:01

It would please me Toodles to pour a tipple for you and as you too looked from my window. I know you would appreciate the view.

4. Toodles
    January 17, 2020 at 00:39

Cheers! Clink, sip and view!

• January 17, 2020 at 03:02

I would, of course, put some trousers on 🙂

5. Toodles
    January 17, 2020 at 07:52

Tee hee hee:) Assumed you would, sir:)

I, too, would come presentable; not a hair out of place, or a bit of petticoat showing!