Now let’s address this pastry issue

The issues were, basically:

# Filo, puff or doughy?
# SR or plain?
# Butter, egg or something else?

My attempt the other day was an accidental success, bear with me:

[Excuse the creme fraiche tub, s’il vous plaît, most remiss.  In the bottle is caramelised onion and it was perfect with the pierogi.  That wine, by the way, is cooking wine, i.e. it is to be sipped during the cooking.]

All right, here’s what I did wrong – I used SR and I can feel pastry chefs bristling even from here.

Your humble blogger has other issues too, e.g. dental and so the product must be soft, plus I’m sick of flaky puff all over the bench and floor, plus filo is a pain to keep moist, plus it unevenly bakes and I couldn’t be bothered coating the ends or oiling the sheets.

So really, the choices come down to plain or SR.  Plain, even with eggs and butter, is still stodgy for mine, plus for such small items as Polish pierogi, they’re not going to rise all that much.

Now I understand some of you cannot stand bicarb and that’s fine, I can’t take it all the time either but in this case … well.

I did the pastry by blending melted butter and warm water [I see some recipes say cold water and cold butter] and the result was a ‘biscuity’ texture which was clearly not going to be bouillon-suitable and the meat had to be spicy and ‘semi-savoury’ only, if there is such a thing.

The big surprise was next day when I took out the half I’d kept cold overnight and the texture was both crumbly and holding together, plus the mince had softened further but was still fresh-ish.

I’m going to try two small apple pies – one with the SR/butter and the other with plain/egg/butter, just to see.  If you’re an expert on pastry, please do tell.

8 comments for “Now let’s address this pastry issue

1. Distant Relative
    January 20, 2020 at 11:43

“Now let’s address this pastry issue”

I hear there’s a couple of HRHs going spare so…. HRH Pastry Issue?

🙂

• Chuckles
      January 20, 2020 at 12:00

Confucius say, “Man who put cream in tart not necessarily pastry chef.”

2. January 20, 2020 at 12:06

Yesterday, we two were with a lady who said she should have known not to try to talk seriously to two men, can’t we ever take anything seriously?

Sometimes. But not together.

3. Chuckles
    January 20, 2020 at 12:33

Pierogi are trad made with a noodle flour, so as the absolute basic – wheat flour, hot water, salt.

Some people use plain flour, some self raising., and personally,I’d use plain.

Fairly usually some fat, from a bit of oil (half teaspoon) to 3 tablespoons of butter per 500g flour can be added. The fat adds a bit of flavour and makes the dough more elastic/soft.

Eggs will makes the dough stiffer/tougher, so in your above instance they should be avoided.

And finally, knead VERY well and let it rest. ( A simpler method is to bung all the ingredients in a food processor, and process and pulse till it forms a ball of pastry – 1-2 mins.) 🙂

4. dearieme
    January 20, 2020 at 12:56

I cheat. When Ginster’s Cornish Pasty is on sale at £1 I buy a couple for the freezer. Then when I am on bachelor terms I have one for lunch. If it’s too peppery it gets a splurge of Greek yog to moderate it. I usually have some baked beans with it so that means my lunch has provided 3 of my 3 a day.

5. January 20, 2020 at 18:12

Feeling inspired.

6. January 21, 2020 at 03:57

Makes me miss the local empanada cart that got chased off for no good reason.

• January 21, 2020 at 11:59

The reason was good – you were enjoying them too much. Can’t have that.