Monday too

8. Another shock from downunder

The end of Holden: Australian car brand announces all sales, design and engineering will stop forever – leaving hundreds without jobs and ending 72 years of tradition

As you’d know, Vauxhall is the equivalent here and Opel in Germany. Comments:

#  Both Vauxhall UK plants will be gone by 2025, France and Germany want to build the new Astra, with parts sourced from mainland Europe…its not looking good.

#  The Brits don’t buy enough bulk made cars . New Vauxhall models are using more and more Peugeot parts and as Vauxhall is losing market share the brand ( and only reason fur UK assembly) will go. Astra not selling as it did.

I never owned a Vauxhall or Holden but I’ve been in a new[ish] Astra and it’s quite nice, does the job, seems fine. Downunder, I drove the Commodore a couple of times and it was a workhorse – 6 cylinders, decent power. Holden, I believe, was once known as a jet in a jam tin.

7. There were people asking

In some ways, it was as with DR, still getting pincer attacks as well as the usual multiple retching but only in some situations – trying to lie down beyond a minute, after sleeping an hour, using ipad for more than two minutes. A bit better than earlier. Cheers.

Someone said it was similar – methinks viruses attack differently, even within the one person. This is worse than any I’ve ever had. Russia 96 was bad – doc and nurses, tubes down nose etc. but this is the same everyday, same level, and very specific, not general.

I once sympathised, now I can maybe empathise with all the poor sods having it.

11 comments for “Monday too

1. Doonhamer
    February 17, 2020 at 09:00

The Bathurst will be pretty boring then.
    Seems like Aus is following Europe and UK in off-shoring all energy intensive industry in order to save the Planet.

2. Distant Relative
    February 17, 2020 at 09:55

7. This is worse than any I’ve ever had.

Aye. Same here. At one point I despaired of ever getting rid of the thing. It’s gone though and good riddance! What doesn’t kill us makes us stronger and all that….
    I’d still like to know how it got here before the official announcement. Did Macron allow us to be used as guinea pigs?

• February 17, 2020 at 09:57

Probably. I mean, just how hygienic is Macron? Who knows where he’s been?

And cheers.

3. The Jannie
    February 17, 2020 at 10:17

One of those phrases which never stops giving- we were discussing/criticising an acquaintance having spent a small fortune “improving” his Vauxhall Signum. One commenter remarked “At the end of the day it’s still a fucking Vauxhall”.

4. dearieme
    February 17, 2020 at 10:52

I once owned a Vauxhall Insipid: dreadful bloody rustbucket.

5. February 17, 2020 at 13:43

Oh well, there it is then.

6. Chuckles
    February 17, 2020 at 13:55

“As you’d know, Vauxhall is the equivalent here and Opel in Germany. ”

No, Holdens and Vauxhalls were usually re-badged and down-specced Opels.