Quinquagesima Sunday

6.  A fighting Fury

Bit naughty of Tyson Fury, singing, ‘Bye bye Miss American Pie … this will be the day that you die.’ And getting the Americans to sing along.

Plus, he’s not a British fighter according to him, he’s Oirish and Brad Pitt can tell you how the Oirish fight – Marquess of Queensberry it ain’t.

5.  Decline of men

4.  Is Johnson insane?

Wet wood and coal ban will hit the rural poor the hardest and the Government will find it impossible to enforce, say campaigners

3. My two favourite quicks:

2. Why is it not in the public interest?

1. Triple celebration this Sunday

Firstly, it is Quinquagesima Sunday or 50 days before Easter. tomorrow is Clean Monday, then Shrove Tuesday, then Ash Wednesday.

Secondly, it is Day of the Defenders of the Fatherland in Russia and Russian influenced lands, more commonly known for the armed forces in the old days, more commonly known today as the Day of Men. it is the day the girls supposedly do the right thing by their menfolk and I’d be interested to know how far they still do.

Lastly for me, it’s the end of the 20 day Festival of Birthdays beginning on February 3rd and also taking in Valentine’s Day. In Russia, I noted carefully which ladies remembered me and then, on their day, March 8th, I remembered those ones.

That sounds churlish but when you’re getting into the hundreds, that’s a bit of a tall order to individually mark on the one day.  Later in the day, I’d send something to those who’d forgotten and thank them for remembering and congratulate them in turn on this March 8th.

But that’s getting ahead of ourselves today.

The joke on me is that almost invariably, I am ill or shunned by my lady. Whether it is the cold of England, the heat of Oz or the frozen wilderness of Russia, still turns out not good and thus I am only just coming out of illness yet again today.

[H/T Chuckles and haiku where applicable]

8 comments for “Quinquagesima Sunday

1. Mark in Mayenne
    February 23, 2020 at 12:02

Why is it not in the public interest? Because “public” in this context means “pertaining to government”. That is, it’s not in the government’s interest. If it meant “in the interest of the (general) public”, it would be “not in the public’s interest”

2. Distant Relative
    February 23, 2020 at 13:50

Many Happy Returns, Sir! (but not of that darned virus eh?)

Here’s your horror scope 🙂

Date: February 23rd
    Color: Violet
    In One Word: Moral
    Shape: Funnel
    Strength: Vision
    Weakness: Distant
    Most Compatabile With: Cancer

Here’s the rest https://www.astrology-zodiac-signs.com/zodiac-calendar/february/23/

Colour “Violet” as in shrinking? 🙂

Have a good one!

• February 23, 2020 at 19:17

Cup runneth over. Moral? Sounds like someone else. Reformed is far more the case.

3. Toodles
    February 23, 2020 at 19:45

Another Birthday?!!!! It hardly seems a year since your last one. They Roll Tide Roll around pretty quickly these days.

Have a HAPPY DAY!…what is left of it. Not to worry, another one will roll around before you know it.

4. Toodles
    February 23, 2020 at 21:23

Very glad we ladies escape it so well. Even those of us who go the artificial route …well … time will telleth, eventually. Looketh at our speaker of the houseth! I am too fearful to do that…don’t like procedures unless I just must…appendix for example…which I still have, actually. I have not much to brag on so I go on about my appendix!

Still I am thankful for just a bit of rouge, mascara, powder. Oh yes indeed. You should be glad of it too, lest you think it is Halloween every day for some of us!

• February 24, 2020 at 04:26

Now Toodles, a little bird whispers in my ear that you’re really quite something.