The Scout Association

Somewhere amongst the bric-a-brac spread across different countries is my academic robe, also this strange thing pictured right.

It’s a Gilwell scarf, three bead lanyard and special woggle.

You get the scarf, woggle and two bead lanyard if you pass leader training, my third bead was because I trained leaders but insiders will note that I did not get to the fourth, nor did I ever become Akela, only ever Bagheera and the reason I left it behind was manyfold.

Full time teaching in my 20s really put a dampener on things scouting, I lost the enthusiasm but there were other things.

The leaders I trained could be any age, even up to 50 and the overwhelming sense I got were that these were dedicated people, good people at heart who wanted to do good.  If there’d been anything off, it would have come through as we did discuss such things.

What got to me a bit was the mothers who were so into boys in a way I found personally off – it really just wasn’t my thing in my mid-20s.

But there’s another reason and it comes from my own scouting days and a camp at this place called Gilwell where I asked my parents to get me out of there. It wasn’t the scoutmasters in shorts and knobbly knees who were the issue, it was the older boys – 14 is exactly when boys experiment with that sort of thing and they weren’t experimenting on me at 12, no way.

I did manage to keep their tadgers out but it was a miserable experience and even today, if I hear Ging Gang Goolie or Kumbaya, I have to shut it out.  So, having escaped that, I fell prey to fathers of mates, gays, even women felt me up.  Not a great time.

So there I was with this scarf, woggle and lanyard, thinking what the hell am I doing here?

In the ensuing years, society itself changed in the way you’ve seen in the tabloids and so it’s little surprise that this has happened:

The Boy Scouts of America put a new spin on “go woke, go broke” in filing for bankruptcy:

The Boy Scouts of America has filed for bankruptcy protection. Facing mounting legal costs from defending itself against lawsuits alleging sexual abuse of boys, the venerable nonprofit sought Chapter 11 protection in a court filing early Tuesday.

Vox is more scathing than I:

It’s impossible to feel any sympathy for these suicidal organizations. Once you allow infiltration, cooption is only a matter of time. The remarkable thing is that they still managed to permit this infiltration despite the language of the very Boy Scout’s oath.

Yep, he’s not wrong.  It just doesn’t go, doesn’t work.  Let’s re-run that experience of mine at 12 – if there had been girls in equal numbers, you could be sure they and all of us would have been right into it, there were always ways.  I would have organised it with one of the girls during the day.  It’s just a stupid, stupid idea, maybe even naive on behalf of the Scout ‘authorities’, I don’t know.

One comment from the site:

There were pedophile scout masters as far back as the 1970’s in my hometown (and a huge scandal). They actually dealt with this by the late 80’s, partly by not allowing scout masters who were known to be gay. The problem is, as we’ve all seen everywhere else, is the SJW PC crowd showed up and forced their way into scouting starting about 20 years ago. The SJW’s are pure parasites. They do not create their own organizations, nor do they create any value of their own, whatsoever. Rather, they infest other peoples’ organizations and force their views.

Yep, haven’t looked at the Woke part specifically, although admitting girls is part of that.

7 comments for “The Scout Association

1. dearieme
    February 20, 2020 at 14:37

I was Senior Sixer in my Wolf Cubs. It had been great fun but I didn’t join the Scouts – I think I must have felt that I’d done that sort of thing.

• February 20, 2020 at 15:15

You were better off out. That just jogged the memory – so many injustices that I’d forgotten that one.

I was one of the four Sixers and ours had the most polished shoes, were the neatest and best turned out, also we had the most badges between us. I had the most individually over my nearest rival.

The reason I can’t stand female Akelas stems from this. It was the time of year for the new Senior Sixer to be appointed and you know what this bint did? She announced there’d be no Senior Sixer that last year of mine. Obviously she didn’t say it that way.

There was zero reason to refuse that, I’d stayed quiet, hadn’t tipped my hand but she did not like me one bit. Couldn’t handle my questions. And I was always asking them, tricky questions too.

There were only two occasions my father stepped in on my behalf, not because he wouldn’t but I fought my own battles – this was one of the two. He asked why, if I’d fulfilled all the preconditions, was she doing this. Tried to fob my father off, so I heard. Unwise with my father.

I kept going there for awhile but she knew – I’d look her straight through her eyes whenever I caught them, usually she looked away.

2. dearieme
    February 20, 2020 at 22:08

I think I probably got the job of Senior Sixer because I was best at British Bulldog. Also I was sturdy enough to carry our banner on the Memorial Day parade and was presumably trusted to turn up and do it.

• February 20, 2020 at 22:32

Important.

But I was good at BB too, usually got through if called early.

Way to get picked early was provoke the bulldog. If you tried to run past, he’d get you 3/4 from behind. So only way was to tackle him direct, shoulder to stomach, and put him off balance long enough to scramble away.

With two, tackle the nearer from the side. Three was trickier.

Good game for rugby training.

You would have been difficult because of your attitude.

• Andy5759
        February 21, 2020 at 01:32

BB to me is Boy’s Brigade. Dad wanted me to join the Scouts. Mum won. The Boy’s Brigade was attached to the Baptist Church, Mum was very Chapel. Dad won in the end as I went to a CofE Sec Mod. I lost because the school moved the girls to a new building a year before I went there. Then moved the boys to the new building the year after I left. It was a conspiracy!

3. February 21, 2020 at 00:37

I have never been a great ‘club’ member. I was put off by early Cubs experience. I liked the uniform and was an eager lad, but the first ‘outing’ we had ended disastrously. Our mob went by bus to a park in Lemington where there was a pool. After a swim, some little bugger nicked my vest. I got whacked by my Dad when I got home.

Never went back to the Cub meetings. Sod it.