Baroque need not be over-ornate

Baroque gets a bad press at times and some of it was certainly OTT on the Continent but some of it is quite light and so what if many of the additions were not essential to the structure?  I find neo-classical quite boring at times and as for bauhaus and brutalism – only a techie or stonemason could like those.

Baroque offers grandeur and regularity, it almost pays homage to classical but it also adds things … interesting.  It adds interest:

I presume you know what those places are – I’ve not been to Blenheim but have to the other three – palaces were deliberately chosen today but tomorrow, I’d like to move to boat style and show what I’m trying to do.

The Baroque I like is light, rich colour contrasts, modestly ornate and has some signature feature throughout, whilst not killing the grandeur.  The notion of dome above is grand.  I’d love to see a new style perhaps redolent of Baroque, in vaguely classical outline, though how that could be done would be up to a genius or eighty.

6 comments for “Baroque need not be over-ornate

1. dearieme
    March 26, 2020 at 21:34

I’ve no idea where they are. Do tell.

2. Distant Relative
    March 26, 2020 at 21:43

Top one is Blenheim. Third one is Schönbrunn Palace.
    Bottom one Versailles.

Dunno the second one.

• dearieme
      March 27, 2020 at 00:56

I shoulda got Versailles. I’ve been there.

Austria: I’ve only been to hilly bits.

Blenheim: I’ve never been invited.

3. Andy5759
    March 27, 2020 at 01:45

Too many carpets to put the vacuum around. The servants would take over the place. I like my solitude. Maybe there’s a den of some sort which, for generations, has given the chief grand panjandrum some peace and quiet. Even masters of the universe like a bit of me time. What goes on in the den stays in the den. That’s how I think of piles like that. Build it big, make it into a statement. Cower the sheeple, harvest them as you bestow blessings upon them. Now where are Hammer films when I’ve got a script for them?

Then there’s Rawlinson of Rawlinson’s End, he was a good’un. Ish. Knew everyone’s place, including his own.

Peterhof Palace, Petrograd. St. Petersburg. So many names for one lovely place.

4. March 27, 2020 at 03:16

Blenheim
    Peterhof
    Schoenbrunn
    Versailles

Sorry there, fell asleep.

5. Distant Relative
    March 27, 2020 at 07:57

Peterhof looks like it came in kit form and was assembled by a committee of Blackpool boarding-house landladies.

Comments are closed.