Mercurochrome

In a way, this follows on from the ‘nostalgia’ post, in the sense that you had to be in a country where this was the norm and I don’t recall it all that much.

I’m sure mother had it in the med cupboard but I was not at home enough to have it applied.  We had a tree in our front garden but it was not what I considered climbable when there were so many other trees and climbing frames a short bike ride away.  Most damage was bike-caused or from fights – think we were all pretty evenly matched in those.

I think what happened might have been as in the picture, courtesy of Chuckles  – maybe my mother once dabbed some of it on a graze and was not too particular either in how she swabbed it on – end result would have been I’d remain shtum to her after that if I’d been out and grazed my knee or cut something – one of the others would tie my hanky around it – the clean one I’d not started – that’s I think how we did it.

One learnt that it was best not to mention anything medical to mother because it would either end up worse with this horror liquid on it or else she’d take you to the GP if it was bad and that was always injection time – GPs are fiends.

She knew I did not want that, also being groped, so I tended not to go to the doc’s more than once a decade. Probably more often than that but I wanted it once a decade.

You?

19 comments for “Mercurochrome

1. FoS
    March 6, 2020 at 13:27

The ‘styptic pencil’ used on the bloody wounds left after a 50s short back and sides.

I have hated having my haircut ever since.

2. Toodles
    March 6, 2020 at 17:10

I remember getting a scolding a hundred years ago around the age of 3 or 4 for sneaking a bottle of (a climber – nothing was too high for me) Mercurochrome. It was so lovely applied to the fingernails and after that anywhere else that needed decorating. Kind of like pinky/peachy originally designed toddler tatts.

I have been told I was keen on decorating the bod with Band-Aids. They came with decor stickers in the tin box….dots, hearts, other little thingies. I don’t remember although I am not surprised. Sounds fun.

Bandaids, nice to have when needed, EXCEPT!!!!-NEVER ever should anyone ever be allowed to wear a bandaid at a pool…any pool…ever ever ever NEVER ever.

Listed are various other healing aids I recall people having in their medicine cabinets…only from hearing and not from peering!

Camph-Phonique
    Dr. Tichenor’s Antiseptic
    Castor Oil
    PHisoHex

My father’s mantra regarding Camph-Phonique …. Blemish? ‘C-P,’ Cut? ‘CP,’ Wart? ‘C-P,’ Depressed ?’C-P’!!!!!!

Oh, Paregoric too…but way out of reach. I have been told by a few friends the druggist use have it delivered it to their homes if their mother needed a bit for their very colicky baby siblings, via delivery boy! Shocking!

3. March 6, 2020 at 17:35

Bactine, if anything at all.
    Dad always insisted on no Band-Aids.

4. March 6, 2020 at 17:47

Wow, I should have looked more carefully at the medicine cabinet.

Speaking of medicine, you remember medicine balls?

5. Toodles
    March 6, 2020 at 22:51

Oh, the Band Aids were for decorative purposes….no need to have a wound!
    I do agree to start out being miserly as possible with the ointments, elixers, etc.

Except antihistamines….otherwise my head may fall off sometimes! Ahhh ahhh ahhhhhchew!

6. Mark Matis
    March 7, 2020 at 01:39

Mercurochrome was mild. Try iodine!!!

7. March 7, 2020 at 01:45

Rough-and-tumble injuries aside, I’d miserably get eaten alive by chiggers every summer down at the shore, for which copious amounts of witch hazel would be applied.

Can still remember that biting, astringent smell…

8. Toodles
    March 7, 2020 at 05:24

Witch hazel! Iodine! Now we’re talking!

Do they have chiggers anywhere besides our neck o’the woods?

9. March 7, 2020 at 10:05

Almost a foreign language to my ears.

10. March 8, 2020 at 03:25

I had to look up just what ‘Chiggers’ were. I had never heard of them. American term? I wonder what they are called in Botswana or Vladivostok.

As for treatment: in my day it was aftershave.

• March 8, 2020 at 07:20

Well I never. Never heard of em:

• Chuckles
      March 8, 2020 at 09:21

Tourists?

And yes,we do have chiggers in the UK, they are the cause of the intensely itchy little red bumps and weals we country folk suffer in summer time.

11. FoS
    March 8, 2020 at 09:05
    • March 8, 2020 at 12:16

“Perhaps I’m oversensitive, but faced with my own impending doom I didn’t find watching Mr Cherry’s fishy prisoners zig-zagging mindlessly around his tanks waiting for their time to come particularly entertaining.”

12. Toodles
    March 9, 2020 at 19:07

Chuckles, our chiggers over here leave most of our tourists alone. However tourists and natives alike should be aware of the dreadful, ‘no seeums’.

They love me, but not Cuddles so much. I have ways of dealing with them. A bit of planning is the best way to combat those invisible menaces that sometimes swarm near the water. There are also ways to stop the ‘drive you insane itching’…with a bit of planning.

• March 9, 2020 at 19:14

Thankfully, I live just north of the Gnat Line.

• Chuckles
      March 9, 2020 at 20:04

The ‘Tourists?’ bit was a response to the question by Amfortas – ‘I wonder what they are called in Botswana or Vladivostok.’

A baking soda paste applied to the itch site is usually quite effective at stopping the chigger bite itching long enough for a decent nights sleep.

As for the no-see-ums, I know them and their international relatives very well too. Far too well in fact, and ditto the Canadian B52 sized mosquitos, but fortunately most of them leave me alone and concentrate on my less vitriolic companions 🙂

Comments are closed.