Postcards from Hobart

Ships coming and going and the last of the Aurora Australis icebreaker which is retiring. We expect a new one any day. Meanwhile the French and Japanese icebreakers make Hobart their ‘home’ port.

And ….. it is not always sunny and bright. Here are some from when the rain abated leaving low-flying clouds with the hills peeking through like an old Japanese painting. I just love it here. An ever changing view:

And the sole sea-plane harboured here flying past my window, taking Summer with it:

6 comments for “Postcards from Hobart

1. dearieme
    March 11, 2020 at 18:48

What are those two big vessels? Are they cruise ships?

• March 11, 2020 at 20:09

Would seem so.

• Mudplugger
      March 11, 2020 at 20:18

I think the current term is ‘plague ships’.

• March 12, 2020 at 00:11

Most days in Summer sees a cruise ship in the harbour. There you see the ‘Silver Muse’ (which is new here) at the wharf, on the left; and the ‘Costa Deliziosa’ (also new to me) just departing (backwards at first). Between then, dwarfed, is the Aurora Australis icebreaker just about to dock to get supplied for its final trip.

Those cruise ships are ‘medium sized’. We get really enormous ones here as our harbour is surprisingly deep.

2. Andy5759
    March 12, 2020 at 01:13

Postcards eh? Wish that I were there.

I watched a number of videos after that post with the fly by down the river. Knowing that somewhere is beautiful is one thing, seeing it is another. There wasn’t a dry eye in my head.

• March 12, 2020 at 04:25

You would be welcome here, Andy. I have to admit that there are many beautiful places in the world. Each has its merits. Few though have English language and manners at hand.

Tasmania is like Europe in microcosm. Down here in the south it is similar to the Mediterranean. Up north you would think you were in England, or Germany or France. My Monk friends say that a valley near Hobart is just like Burgundy.

But it is the water that draws me.