Up to the late 90s

If classical music defined a century or part of a century, popular music defined decades or parts of decades and I did read yet again that the music died in the 90s.  I’d pinpoint it around 1997, somewhere there, when it ceased being real and became overproduced and autotuned, with obligatory adenoidal negress howling, en masse, talent hardly mattering any more.

The 80s were a musical blur for me due to work and family, the only group I remember being the Bangles but I do remember the new aggression from females out for all they could get and it was being fuelled by Them.

The end of the 80s saw almost all songs having to use this world rap structure, from MC Hammer to Betty Boo to the boy bands like Take That 1989, Backstreet Boys 1993.  I for one despaired that it would ever break out of this but there were things going on – Radiohead, Nirvana, metal, Blur 1988, Oasis 1991 … and then those appalling girl bands – Spice Girls 1994, through to Girls Aloud in the early 2000s.  I saw one of their song clips and it was bad, really bad.

It was also splitting into genres because I was back in education and listening to what the kids listened to, including indie bands such as three of those below, there was Pulp, it the last attempt at real creativity but by the mid 90s, you could hear it slipping away as men became SNAGs and females became appalling.  This was one of the last gasp attempts at originality:

1990

This mainstream song below has to be included because it had such a massive effect – the thing is catchy and danceable, it was on the whole time it seemed but as someone wrote – it was presenting a new world music where tables were now turned and the female was screwing around with anyone and it was fine, quite ok.

If males were lost sometime around the Sex Pistols in the 70s, females were becoming what they are today around about this song onwards – they’d been acquisitive and vacuous since the 60s but now there was this added aggression and sexual skankiness – the days of fathers watching out for daughters long gone.  The pool of worthwhile females was rapidly diminishing.

1993

Hope Sanderval was drugged out, with little fidelity but at least she tried to create some sort of good music, although the lyrics yet again were directly denying any form of commitment by any female – everything was me me me.  Television had gone past a point of no return with the advent of this ‘reality’ thing, the sex on film was now real, you’ll recall females could only be put in films which were kickbutt, society had lost it, especially in serials on TV.

Nasty.

1996

This below was a rearguard action by an indie band which still wanted to make its own music but in the 2000s, after this, the music well and truly died.  When some Sheeran character becomes a megastar, you know it’s gone.

2002

18 comments for “Up to the late 90s

1. Ryan S
    March 28, 2020 at 18:32

During the mid to late 80s, my cousins had gotten me into glam metal type stuff. Guns N Roses, Ratt, etc. in the early 90s, I’d discovered bands like Alice In Chains which had a metal sound despite being considered “grunge”. I liked them, but it wasn’t enough to scratch an angsty itch. By 1993-94 I had met some new friends. They exposed me to death metal and underground hardcore music. I spent the rest of the 90s and early 2000s going to these gigs and getting bruised in mosh pits or brain damage from head banging. Now in my early 40s, I quite enjoy the more melodic sounds of “neo-classical” acts such as Tony MacAlpine and Jeff Loomis. There’s musicianship, a heaviness but no associated health risks.

• March 28, 2020 at 18:55

Grunge, yes, forgot to mention that as a name of a genre. This is as close as I got to metal, couldn’t make the jump:

In the 90s, because of girls, much house and beginnings of trance but not personally into it. Bit of Paul Oakenfold.

• Ryan S
        March 28, 2020 at 19:36

Interesting song on that link. Sounds like it was a precursor to some of the indie stuff like Sonic Youth eat al. I had a brief flirtation with the Oakenfold crowd for the same reason. There was a club that played that type of stuff. Not many girls at the other gigs I attended and those that did had hair that looked like Mr. Spock and always tried passing themselves off as “photographers”.

• March 28, 2020 at 20:06

Sonic Youth pay tribute to them.

Can’t believe I was clubbing in the 90s but was, always took a girl. Never really house or trance keen.

You heard this one:

One guy who has some interesting music is Lord Somber but haven’t seen him some time. Corona must have got him.

2. Toodles
    March 28, 2020 at 20:36

Lordsomber visited recently…spoke of Kenny Roger’s property in GA.

If I may add, Georgia is probably one our most lovely and varied states in the U.S of A. Varied in it’s topagraphy and is very lush and verdant and has lovely shores.

I am not even from there…but truth is truth.

3. March 28, 2020 at 21:26

Am alive and well hunkered down at the Men’s Lodge.

Here’s some mid-late 90’s noise I was involved with, keeping with the theme…

(best with stereo headphones/speakers)

4. March 28, 2020 at 21:44

Ah, good.

5. Ryan S
    March 28, 2020 at 23:23

I found this video on the YouTube. My 17 year old self is present in the video, front of the stage and shaved head (because bad haircuts were a staple of the 90s!) but this was my average weekend. A heavy band, friendly violence and ensuing deafness.

• March 29, 2020 at 01:18

Played Albany once in 93-94, smaller venue, not sure.
      At the time, seemed like the kind of slow town you play and then get the hell out.

Looking into it, it seems like Albany had a decent scene during the 80s-90s, and while no national acts came out of there, a lot great bands did pass through.

• Ryan S
        March 29, 2020 at 01:28

The band I posted became a well known metal band playing many large festivals and got better. Albany has a few clubs back then that were amazing. QE2 was like the up-state CBGB in its “legend” status and grime. There was also Bogies which was cramped, Valentines which had an up and down stairs venue and in Cohoes there was Saratoga winners which did hold shows from underground to national acts. It was the bigger of the clubs but was burned down by the owner. Honestly I was surprised it didn’t collapse before that. There was also the Loft which I played once. Total shit hole.

6. March 29, 2020 at 04:49

Another lurking reader, Lord T, would be interested in the transition to metal.

The indie scene and garage band are important in any decade – no need to mention that to those commenting – but many were killed by the major and mid labels.

This is included not for the music but the voice:

Couple of songs from Chuckles coming up by the way.