Diseases

Not sure how I got onto this – maybe it was Boris – but I started looking up all these diseases we were immunised against in childhood.

I read some time back that if you leave it and get slack, and if another demographic [lovely euphemism, that] starts pouring into a country, bringing all their diseases we once eradicated … well you see what I mean.

I recall typhoid and cholera vaccines before going on a school trip at 11. I know I had measles itself, then they produced a vaccine. Didn’t have mumps, can’t remember with chicken pox. During measles, there was an old phonogram by my bed with the heavy stylus which folded over. Recall Tweety Pie for some reason.

Must have had the polio vaccine, certainly TB, tetanus, there was something with a booster some time later I recall. My smallpox one went wrong, had to have surgery, local anaesthetic, botched by a drunk mega-doc, he had to repair it, still scarred on the arm.

What else did we get jabbed for as kids?

………..

Now I remember:

14 comments for “Diseases

1. Charles
    April 7, 2020 at 23:14

Even more jabbings today sadly.

Recommend reading ‘Dissolving Illusions, Diseases, Vaccines, and the Forgotten History’ by Suzanne Humphries, MD and Roman Bystrianyk. An easy read. The graphs alone are well worth the price of the book.

2. April 8, 2020 at 00:20

If you’d had chicken pox, you’d remember it.

3. Andy5759
    April 8, 2020 at 01:31

We had the old fashioned approach. Children round the corner got something, next day my sister and I would get a day off school to play with them. Measles, scarlet fever, mumps, chicken pox, heaven knows what else. Pity I didn’t catch daft when younger, I could use some immunity now.

4. Stewart
    April 8, 2020 at 07:01

I seem to remember we were given jabs for measles, but German measles (rubella?) jabs were for the girls only.

Had chicken pox as an adult, horrendous.

5. April 8, 2020 at 07:42

Thanks for those, they triggered memories.

May well have had both measles and chickenpox. One of them there were blisters all over, one blotchiness. The weird thing is I remember the phonograph. In one it was 78s, the other I most certainly remember it was a cylinder.

That may have been a player device with raised bits on the cylinder or was that another time? Whatever it was, it was cylindrical and there’s no one about to prompt me on it. We never had a piano but I do remember one somewhere with a sheet of thick paper scrolling down with gaps in it and it played music. You saw the paper through a hatch.

That’s not this time. They took this phono cylinder thing away and I never saw it again. A prompted memory just now is there was a handle you put in the side and cranked. Possibly I sent my father batty with it, or my mum.

That handle – that was the 78 player. They wouldn’t let me at the LPs later, they were my father’s. But these diseases were way before LPs.

When I was five, I was in hospital alone getting my tonsils out. Remember sore throat, getting out of bed and wandering into other rooms to find someone. No doubt my parents arrived at some stage but I do remember being in a hospital room alone.

It was one room only across the corridor I went into. There was a woman’s bare backside and a nurse was doing something. Someone raced in and told me off, made me get back on my own in my room. Couldn’t see what the fuss was, just exploring and wanted to find someone in authority to ask.

Next time I went wandering in a hospital was after the stent in 2017. I went downstairs to the main entrance for a wander and get a coffee. Nothing open. Woman from previous day before the operation told me to get back up there, she was not in a good mood. She was cross. Recall that halfway back up, ran out of energy and had to stop for sometime.

• Distant Relative
      April 8, 2020 at 09:33

Chickenpox – remember it well. Doc called out to identify blistered little bod on Christmas Eve – great gift!

The cylinder thing – pianola? We had one of those in the parlour. With the flick of a switch it could be used as a normal piano.

Had measles shortly after starting school. Off for 3 weeks. Went back for one week then off again with German Measles and off another 3 weeks. Enough to make one school-phobic. Remember the tetanus jab and subsequent boosters.

6. Distant Relative
    April 8, 2020 at 09:46

“We’re putting a hold on money spent to the WHO” – POTUS

Nice one, Sir!

First step.

7. Distant Relative
    April 8, 2020 at 10:21

File under “Diseased” coz the person discussed is SICK, imo.

“Who was Bill Gates before Microsoft?” and after up to current.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wuMkShZ42o [15 mins]

Was watching this on twitter before twitter shut it down.

• April 8, 2020 at 10:31

Beautiful – leads straight into the 11 a.m. post.

8. Isilme
    April 8, 2020 at 16:27

Gosh, memories!
    I had chicken pox and mumps at the same time (and had just had an accident and broken my nose – so had bruises over my nose, two black eyes – and spots!) Nothing like getting it all over with at once.

I also, as a baby, had a bad bout of cow pox (smallpox jab infected me!) Not many people have had cow pox….

But I had all the jabs going. And something taken on a sugar lump. Can’t remember what that was.

• April 8, 2020 at 16:39

Remember the sugar thing.

• Mark Matis
        April 9, 2020 at 13:38

Polio vaccine was on the sugar cube. Second generation. First was a needle.