Some jazz, moving onto the musicals

The last of the Dearieme Jeff and Joels:

Can’t remember if we’ve had this one:

The big production numbers never really grabbed me, though I know some who go all nostalgic because it was a fun way to escape for an evening – this had its merits:

My parents were into all that and Doris Day I never took to:

9 comments for “Some jazz, moving onto the musicals

1. Ed P
    May 31, 2020 at 20:39

The Antifa manual looks like a student joke – it was probably dreamed up by some stoned nerd in his bedroom in mummy’s house.

2. Ed P
    May 31, 2020 at 20:39

Sorry, wrong post!

• June 1, 2020 at 00:33

Wrong post – never mind.

That’s who these are – students – churning it out on the union building press. You’ll notice it’s stapled sheets.

3. May 31, 2020 at 21:21

The big production numbers don’t grab me either – too glossy and impersonal but I enjoyed Lulu’s back in town.

• June 1, 2020 at 00:32

It’s uncanny, that feeling, the need for far more personal playing, not the product of some mogul’s mind. The production numbers really lack something, though they’re world famous. Even Paul Whiteman a hundred years ago was applying that big band gloss to something which needed to be organic.

4. Andy5759
    June 1, 2020 at 01:34

Doris Day. I grew up with that girl. Something about Move Over Darling with a touch of Whip Crack Away takes me back to those tempestuous days of my youth. Times when turbulence began to affect the parts which I would rather forget at my age. Alright, I understand that the girl next door image was all a front, disguising the fact that she had an interesting life, shall we say.

• June 1, 2020 at 03:31

She and Clara Bow would have many a tale to tell if they dared. I always saw Doris Day as fake.

• Andy5759
        June 1, 2020 at 17:30

She was a fake but I’m prepared to play pretend in some circumstances.

• June 1, 2020 at 19:58

If she plays her cards right of course. 😀

Comments are closed.