quizzes, puzzles and tricks
JD asks if Tomatina might be coming to London:
LONDON could get its own version of the famous Valencian tomato fight, the Tomatina.
Councillors from Buñol, a town to the east of Valencia city with 10,000 inhabitants which is renowned worldwide for its messy, fruity fiesta, have been in talks with the management of Hyde Park in the British capital.
Mayor Joaquín Masmano says meetings with the Spanish embassy’s tourism department in London, Turespaña, have gone well and the huge green oasis in the city is expected to be the venue for a British Tomatina in July next year.
Well, it’s better than the egregious Notting Hill monstrosity anyway.
Ah, those Spanish. Ola!…
What do you do if you’ve not got posts ready and have run out of time – have to get into town etc.
Why, dip into the quiz you’ve reserved for such occasions.
Answers later in the day:
1. ‘D******’ is the state of finding it hard to get out of bed in the morning.
2. “C******** muscle” is a muscle covering the testes which is involved with the sinking feeling you get when you look over the side of a cliff.
3. Did you know Lake K******* in Russia is the most polluted spot on Earth?
4. “Back*******gesicht” is a German word for a face that badly needs a punch.
5. Not nitrogen or carbon or whatever but P***v***** is held by some to be the most common material found above, on or within earth.…
Haiku pointed to the Beeb article and I nearly spilt my beer. Loved it:
An 87-year-old man was asked to prove he was over 21 when he tried to buy a bottle of sherry in a York supermarket.
The former Lord Mayor of York, Jack Archer, said he was shocked – but flattered – when asked the question by staff at Morrisons in Acomb.
He said: “I don’t look my age but I certainly don’t look young enough to be in trouble for underage drinking.”
That’s really nice. I’m wondering, y’know, if that was not deliberate on the part of the lady but it seems it was just store policy. Pity. I’ve been asking them to ask me for years now but no one does. [sad face]
Just can’t bring myself to speak of the dumbing down today.…