Doin’ porridge

Don’t know at what point I gave up the porridge making and eating but it was a silly move. Perhaps I’d read too much about high glycemic or carbo foods, can’t recall but a source of grain was lost.

Now, I’m going to describe my efforts, with a view to you also adding your thoughts on how these things should be done, it’s a bit like eggs – not all eggs are equal.

This was my first attempt, didn’t photograph this morning’s, it was down the hatch faster than you can say Fletcher and Godber:

In one of those freak accidents, I had no milk left but did have powdered – usually I’d make a water porridge, then add milk and maybe a dob of yoghurt, sometimes fruit.

Yesterday, I realised I wanted it creamier, so added dried skimmed as I was cooking, then remembered there were mixed dry fruits in the cupboard.

There was a pre-cut bed of various fruits already in the  bowl.

So, poured the cooked mix in and it soon dried by itself – this morning’s was far creamier – I realised I’d forgotten salt and was going to sugar it but then thought hmmmm – my jar of stem ginger has syrup, plus the ginger spices it up.

Weeeellll, was it ever yummy, hence the straight down the hatch biz.  By the way, this mornings fruit in the bowl was grated apple.

Now, the issue is – brekky is sacred, so what do you do that delights? Not just porridge of course.

While we wait.

Post navigation

12 comments for “Doin’ porridge

1. Mark in Mayenne
    July 23, 2019 at 14:14

It started out as Greek yoghurt with honey. Now, imitation Greek yoghurt cos you can’t get the real thing here, with mixed raw nuts, especially Brazils dried fruit, a bit of extra cereal and milk. And coffee, separate.

2. fos
    July 23, 2019 at 15:13

Try as I might to make it acceptable, the website refuses to accept my wonderful comment about porridge…..

see if I can trick it:

Had porridge for breakfast every morning for decades. Can now do the preparation in my sleep, as it were:

– 6 tbsp of coarse crushed oats (not the instant stuff)
    – 1 tbsp of oat bran (wheat bran is too rough and does my gut in)
    – circa 4 dried prunes

Cover (just) with boiling water and put in the microwave at 700mw for circa 5 mins.
    Most of the water will have boiled off.

Stir in cold milk from the fridge to the prefered consistency (the milk replaces the lost water)

I add a teaspoon of sea-buckthorn jam at the end, when the porridge is now cool enough not to wreck the vit C.
    Total time 1 min prep + 5 min in the microwave (=time required for filter coffee prep).

You don’t think I’m a bit of a nerd, do you?

When I was younger and could be bothered I used to soak dried fruits such as apricots overnight and use them instead of prunes.

3. fos
    July 23, 2019 at 15:21

I can’t get my comment through at all – didn’t realise tha porrdige making was such a sensitive issue…

4. fos
    July 23, 2019 at 15:23

5. fos
    July 23, 2019 at 15:27

It doesn’t like the list of ingredients, tried all kinds of variations – I give in…

6. fos
    July 23, 2019 at 15:31

It doesn’t like the list of ingredients, let’s try the final paras:

Most of the water will have boiled off.

Stir in cold milk from the fridge to the preferred consistency (the milk replaces the lost water)

Total time 1 min prep plus 5 min in the microwave (time for filter coffee prep).

You don’t think I’m a bit of a nerd, do you?

7. fos
    July 23, 2019 at 15:36

It doesn’t like the list of ingredients, let’s try them without line breaks:

No, that didn’t work either. Try something else:

S i x t b s p o f c o a r s e c r u s h e d o a t s ( n o t t h e i n s t a n t s t u f f) / one tbsp of oat bran (wheat bran is too rough and does my gut in) / circa four dried prunes

8. MadNumismatist
    July 23, 2019 at 16:56

I love porridge; literally live on it. Rarely do I eat breakfast but lunch is nearly always half cup oats, full cup of milk, nuked for 5 minutes. Over six months I lost 24Kg, over 50Lb. (as a friend said about the weight of a long haul suitcase).
    Porridge takes away my hunger and my cravings. That allows me to choose what I eat after the oats, whereas normally I snack or pick and choose junk seeking a desired flavour. Now it’s oats and if I need flavour later some pickles.
    I do keep looking around for recipes, but can’t be bothered to dress it up, mine does what I want; takes away the decision of ‘what am I going to eat today?”.
    On Jeremy Vine they had the award winning recipe, which she would not share. It did involve soaking the oats overnight and cooking it for hours. The rest was secret.
    So I do wonder; what herb or spice in place of fruits? Maybe a dash of nutmeg? I just searched ‘curried porridge’; lost of results, but not sure of that myself.

9. dearieme
    July 23, 2019 at 16:59

We had a Mexican thing the other day. Can’t remember it’s name. Rather like a lumpy omelette.

P.S. Beware: we bought some plums from M&S. Lousy: threw them on the compost heap.

10. July 23, 2019 at 17:16

Thank you, all. Compost … lol.

Your battle, FoS, with a combative and recalcitrant WP mirrors my own battles with said provider.

Highly entertaining for readers but not, I fear for your good self.

Thank Boris it all finally came out. 🙂

11. Penseivat
    July 24, 2019 at 10:40

Following a comment from a friend, I made a bowl of porridge with milk, honey, and blueberries, put it into a small container and then into the fridge. After a couple of hours it had set into a small cake, which I ate, cold, for lunch. Delicious, and it stopped my snack craving mid afternoon. Not something I would do every day, but an interesting experiment.