Long weekend [9]

55.  We never know what will happen and when

Felt good enough to go downstairs with binbags of rubbish, check mail etc. and a neighbour went past, asked about gas bill.  He and two people from non-existent addresses [we know this] have had demands from Scottish Power for £1200 apiece.

He is on a payment scheme, as many of you are, in order to get a cheaper tariff, I got out of that years ago, it’s a scam and i use pay as you go. Costs more but they can’t diddle you.  Also, never ever let utilities companies do direct debit.

Problem was he is with SP himself so it’s much more difficult for him. I had a bill from a different company some years back and I told them I pay, say, Superpower and am NOT going to pay them for any reason.  Then I contacted my own Superpower and said fix it.  They said no I must resolve it.

No way, your error, you fix it or it’s ombudsman. They fixed it.

This chap seems to have no recourse, so I suggested ombudsman but maybe you have a better solution. Be careful if you reply, don’t give away private details of course. It would be nice though to give him something helpful.

54.  Sensitive art

53.  The Special One returns

Chelsea doctor

Chelsea bye bye

Man U bye bye

Spurs hi hi:

There’s a song about that Eva Carnal at Chelsea – you just have to change the word lady for Chelsea and call it the *v*n*v*c song:

While we’re on sport, R.I.P. Bob Willis.

52. Crimbo carols

Not sure what I’ll do this year, because of the GE, would like to get that out of the way first, then think Christmas. What would be nice from you is if there’s a special carol [not being silly now] you’d like included and any you’re sick to death of.

The one I’m sure you never wanted to hear again – I promise I shan’t play it during the Christmas carol fiesta, promise!  We’ll have it now instead. 🙂

Health, by the way, is as projected – shall be more or less out of the dreaded by tomorrow, get the house in order, go out Monday to face the world. To Distant Relative and any other poor sod dear reader – commiserations and take it easy. Andy still alive?

51. Rules for tagliatelle bolognese

a. Shave own moosh, real baby’s bottom stuff;
b. Cook it all up and add grated cheese;
c. Have twirl-fork and under-scissors at the ready;
d. Wash mess off face, hope no one saw the disgraceful exhibition.

[Pic]

Afraid I just hit the coffee, whisky and shortbread. Your culinary fayre today or yesterday? Or indeed – tomorrow?

50. Bridges and tolls

Mark Wadsworth:

All those journeys mean more economic activity and so on. Tolls mean income for the bridge owner and and equal and opposite cost to motorists, so that is just a transfer of wealth and cancels out. Tolls also depress economic activity, so scrapping them is a clear win overall. Which is why I don’t like tolls.

The bad news is, the value of that extra economic activity in south Wales and Bristol largely goes into higher land values, so the total rent collected i.e. land rent + tolls, stays the same.

49. This is no joke

The few people who have visited my place would not find a great difference between this below and my more nautical motif:

48. Boris versus Brexit

Over at OoL

[H/T Chuckles and haiku]

12 comments for “Long weekend [9]

1. dearieme
    December 7, 2019 at 15:59

“Tolls mean income for the bridge owner and and equal and opposite cost to motorists, so that is just a transfer of wealth and cancels out.”

People do entertain the most foolish of economic notions.

2. Andy5759
    December 7, 2019 at 17:34

Food. Some things which I adore are becoming a bit tricky due to my tooth situation. My solution to breakfast is bubble and squeak with a fried egg and bread and butter. Lunch, tin of soup. Tea, cuppa, cake, KitKat. Dinner, something easy. Tonight is shepherds pie, tomorrow will be chilli-cum-curry. Remains of the fried Aberdeen Angus mince and onions in the freezer. I’ve discovered that gaps in the mouth can lead to food escaping. My solution to that is to make sure there is no-one to witness the “disgusting exhibition”.

3. Andy5759
    December 7, 2019 at 17:41

I posted the above as you enquired. Yes, very much so. I turn 65 later this month so I’m going through the palaver of arranging an annuity. The quotation given me by Scottish Widows, not asking me any health or lifestyle questions was about 6k pa. Enquiries with Just, who did ask, resulted in a quote of almost 9k pa. Sounds good? Somehow it has brought my horizon closer – too close!

• December 7, 2019 at 18:18

Best of luck with the dishes … and also the annuity. Not thinking of retiring to Capri?

• Andy5759
        December 7, 2019 at 18:46

I would love that. When I was about five years old my ‘wealthy’ uncle sent a postcard from Capri. The vibrant hues of the Blue Grotto captivated me then and still do, I kept it.

4. December 7, 2019 at 18:29

51.d as well as washing mess off face need to check pullover before going out. Personal experience.

• Andy5759
      December 7, 2019 at 21:53

I thought that was what pullovers were for. Apart from wiping your mouth on the cuffs, there’s a table cloth for that.

• Penseivat
        December 8, 2019 at 11:07

Some years ago, when my wife was alive, she told me I needed a new jumper and so took me to one of those posh clothes shops. When asked, my wife told the assistant she was looking for a new jumper for (embarrassed) me.
        “What colour jumper is Madame looking for?”
        enquired the young lady.
        “Anything that goes with gravy.” was the reply.
        I loved, and miss, that woman.

• December 7, 2019 at 22:26

🙂

5. Andy5759
    December 7, 2019 at 22:02

52. Last year at this time I visited The Abbey, Cathedral actually, for some Christmas cards with a Christian theme. The woman in the shop looked down her nose at me while she told me that they don’t do them.

It must be an uphill struggle taking the country downhill. Not a Sysiphean task though because old gits like me will be out of their way soon enough.

• December 7, 2019 at 22:27

Our lot will stick around as pains for a long while yet.